• Register Today It's free!

12v bed socket replacement?

rokr1292

Reaction score
City, State
richardsville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
since i got my st, the 12v socket in the bed has never worked, and since ive tried to fix it, its gotten pretty beat up, has anyone else had problems with theirs? maybe its a common issue ive been ignoring?

i was sitting on the tailgate at a tractor pull, when i noticed my phone was dying, and i realized just how convenient it would be to have a working port there. haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

honestly i have never attempted to use mine. i looked at it though and it looks like a standard ford style screw in off the shelf cig lighter plug

Mine works. I've had it out a couple times and it would be an easy replacement. Not sure what the dealership price would be or how easy another replacement would be. It's been convenient a few times, never necessary, lol.

you know, ive never used mine. im gonna try mine out tomorrow. does the key have to be in the on position for it to work?

I think it's always hot. Been a while, but I'm pretty sure the truck doesn't have to be on.

I have to figure out whats wrong with mine. The wires have to be fudged somewhere

Check the fuse for it first. Then you could do a power check on the socket. If that doesn't do anything you could strip the wires behind the mounting stuff a little and then see if you're getting any power to it. I would say that's the easiest place to check those wires. Other wise you'd have to chase them down through the truck.

Well i feel foolish. All this time i never thought to check the fuse. Guess what? Burnt. Haha well that makes it an easy fix, anyway. Also found ont of my trailer light fuses was blown too, thay was something else i knew i needed to fix. Well theres another easy repair. I cant believe i didnt think of that, i feel stupid. Haha

Well, its not /just/ the fuse. But its a start. Haha

Haha on the plus side thats a super easy fix!

It wouldve been nice if it was just a fuse haha

What is it?

Dont know, but replacing the fuse didnt fix it :/

I'd say use a volt meter and search for a charge at the back. Maybe on of the wires came loose or something simple like that

Well, turns out the ground is good but the power wire is open somewhere. Also tested my trailer lights, my left turn wire is completely burnt out, the others all read really low voltage. Are those harnesses something I can replace?

Yeah they're super easy. Make sure to remember what position each color goes in as you take the old one off

I'm not talking about just replacing the plug, I need to replace a good length of wire too, possibly all the way to the fuse box.

Oh. Sorry I thought you just meant the plug. If you have to replace the whole wires going to be a pain in the ass to follow it throughout the entire truck. But it'll be as easy as it is to replace any other wire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I need to find out where I can get that part of the harness.

Back