'13 Explorer - bad CAT affecting transmission performance??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'13 Explorer - bad CAT affecting transmission performance???

Nagrom55

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello everyone! This is my first post here (I'm very active on a Triumph motorcycle forum) so I really appreciate everyone's help and responses.

I am writing to get some feedback regarding problem that I am currently having. I have had my Explorer in for miscellaneous warranty work probably 6-10 times over the past 3-4 years and I have always mentioned that there's something not right with the transmission. Sometimes it will wind up for a long time and whine before finally shifting and more recently I have been getting really hard shifts at low speeds -- so hard sometimes that my kids have thought we hit something. This is not an every day occurrence. Every time I have taken it to the dealer, they have always "fixed something" or "rebuilt something" including the last time about 2 weeks ago. Each time I leave, it feels really smooth and promising for a couple of days and then back to normal. The last time I took my Explorer in was because the "check engine" light was on and I was informed that it was the CAT and that I needed to replace it. I had them hold off because I wanted to decide what I wanted to do. Here's where my problem comes in. I reached out to the dealer yesterday to inform him that I am having transmission problems again and that I am getting very close to warranty expiration so we need to get it resolved and he responds telling me that I have to fix the CAT first because it could be messing with the transmission performance. I am pretty technically savvy (I do all of the work on my motorcycle, I have rebuilt some engines, etc) so this blew my mind and I argued with him. He responded stating that the bad CAT could cause back pressure issues (I do not disagree at all) and that could affect the performance of the transmission.

Am I lacking experience or knowledge or is the dealer out of his mind?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Since the vehicle is under warranty why not have the CAT replaced and then go from there. I agree with the dealer in that regard. Get that possible cause out of the way before worrying about other possible causes.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Since the vehicle is under warranty why not have the CAT replaced and then go from there. I agree with the dealer in that regard. Get that possible cause out of the way before worrying about other possible causes.

Peter
CAT isn't covered by warranty otherwise I would have just done it. I'm at 95K miles so I am not sure about keeping the vehicle so that's why I haven't just fixed it yet.

The only reason I would see the cat affecting the transmission is if it's plugged and you have to really open the throttle to accelerate "normally." More open throttle would make the computer think you are accelerating harder and shift later.

I would also think it would impact the transmission all the time, not intermittently.

Also, how does it run @ WOT? Does it still pull strong? If it's plugged to the point of affecting the transmission shifting under normal driving, I would expect you to have significantly reduced WOT performance.

The only reason I would see the cat affecting the transmission is if it's plugged and you have to really open the throttle to accelerate "normally." More open throttle would make the computer think you are accelerating harder and shift later.

I would also think it would impact the transmission all the time, not intermittently.

Also, how does it run @ WOT? Does it still pull strong? If it's plugged to the point of affecting the transmission shifting under normal driving, I would expect you to have significantly reduced WOT performance.

I don't have any noticeable performance issues as a result of whatever is wrong with the cat. If I did then I might understand where the dealer was coming from, but I don't. I only took the vehicle in because the light was on, but not because there were any noticeable problems with the way it was running.

What code/s are stored?

Harsh and/or delayed shifts are pretty much an internal trans problem - often valve body/solenoid/other internals.

Back