• Register Today It's free!

13 Sport Mod progress w/ Pics

sbebs2000

Reaction score
City, State
erie, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I wanted to thank all the people of this great forum for all the ideas and pics!
My External Mods so far:
Hood Deflector
Bumper Guard
DeeZee Running Boards
38% front window tint (I live in PA so that is as dark as I can go and it is still illegal)
PlastiDipped Door handles, Sport emblem
WeatherTech License Plate Frame
Black Gel Ford Emblem Overlays
Removed Ecoboost badge

Attachments

• IMAG0180.jpg
    IMAG0180.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 4,078
  • IMAG0182.jpg
    IMAG0182.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,370
  • IMAG0184.jpg
    IMAG0184.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,447
  • IMAG0185.jpg
    IMAG0185.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,420
  • IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,417

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one more

Attachments

• IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 2,382

Love it. Big fan of the runners, plastidipped handles and badge.

Hood deflector is sooo dated!
3M clear bra would have been a better choice IMHO.

yeah not digging the 90's hood deflector, also hides the explorer emblem across the front, should have went clear bra instead, but the other mods are looking good!

yeah not digging the 90's hood deflector, also hides the explorer emblem across the front, should have went clear bra instead, but the other mods are looking good!

I appreciate all the honest feedback. I was not a big fan of the EXPLORER badge in the front because on the Ruby Red, the lettering was a light gray and not black. If I knew the plasti dip on the sport logo would have turned out so well I would have just done that as I only got the hood deflector to hide the mismatched color of the letters. Fortunately, it is not the hard plastic kind. Is is very soft and is tight to the molds of the vehicle. I think I still might go the clear bra route with plasti dipped letters though.

Looks good. I'm not a fan of mud flaps or running boards but thats just personal taste, they still look very classy.

I'm really wanting to do my door handles, yours look great. I tried to vinyl wrap once first and wasn't happy with the results. May have to try the plastidipping as that was my original plan.

I removed the two red spots on the sport badge and like it more. Also have the ecoboost removed. Reds the best color btw :D

IMAG0158_zpsd40d071e.jpg

Looks good. I'm not a fan of mud flaps or running boards but thats just personal taste, they still look very classy.

I'm really wanting to do my door handles, yours look great. I tried to vinyl wrap once first and wasn't happy with the results. May have to try the plastidipping as that was my original plan.

I removed the two red spots on the sport badge and like it more. Also have the ecoboost removed. Reds the best color btw :D

IMAG0158_zpsd40d071e.jpg

Good call on the two red spots. Did you happen to do your explorer badge in the front?

I left the explorer letters on the hood as they were. I did the black overlays for the ford emblems on the front and back as well. also did the steering wheel one but am not happy with that one.

Good looking sport, good taste in the mods also

Mods are looking good. But here is what I think, imagine the sport had everything black like that from factory, I think it would look cheap as though they ran out of money and people would start painting badges or adding chrome accents. I don't know, I'm guilty of the same though, I plasti dipped a bunch of chrome on my Audi, but just something I think about when I see everything blacked out.

Love the truck, especially the door handles; that is something I'm wanting to do to my black Sport. What's the process for plastidipping? Is it something you have to have a shop do (assuming we're talking about a body/performance shop?) or is it something you can do yourself? I'd like to get more information on that, it's the biggest complaint I have on the truck as it stands right now.

Love the truck, especially the door handles; that is something I'm wanting to do to my black Sport. What's the process for plastidipping? Is it something you have to have a shop do (assuming we're talking about a body/performance shop?) or is it something you can do yourself? I'd like to get more information on that, it's the biggest complaint I have on the truck as it stands right now.
You may want to have a look at this thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387075

Peter

Looks great. How hard was it to get the ecoboost badge off? Also, do you happen to have the ebay ID of the guy you bought the emblems from?

Looks great. How hard was it to get the ecoboost badge off? Also, do you happen to have the ebay ID of the guy you bought the emblems from?

the majority of new model badges are relatively easy to remove. Most are just stuck on with double sided tape.
To remove just work some dental floss underneath the badge/lettering and slowly work on separating the badge from the paint.
Once the badge has been gently removed there will be gunk left behind. No problem, turtle wax bug and tar remover with some gentle rubbing will lift off the tape and glue gunk.
After all gunk has been removed; grab some polish and cover and buff the former badge area. Looks like new.

Ecoboost badge

So why are some so anxious to remove the Ecoboost badge?

I used a bondo plastic putty scraper to get my emblem off, worked great when the car was only a few weeks old, the tape was still fresh.

I swapped mine for a different ecoboost badge that was filled with a black background. The chrome/satin/blue/green one wasn't matching the blacked out theme of the explorer for me. The black/chrome one looks much better

Where did you get the rear bumper top protector?

Looks great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get the rear bumper top protector?

Looks great.

That is actually the official explorer rear bumper protector accessory listed on the site. I am sure any dealer can order it.

Back