'14 Explorer - Paint Defect. Is it covered? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'14 Explorer - Paint Defect. Is it covered?

marioski

Reaction score
City, State
Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Limited
I took delivery of my '14 Limited this Monday (ordered 9/6/13) and have no idea how in the world I missed this. It looks like something got into the paint on the drivers side rear door bottom and then painted over and cleared. Will this be something that's covered by Ford to get fix or am I stuck living with this?

image-L.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hands down Ford-Had something similar to yours, dealerships body did excellent job.

tinner

I agree with tinner, that should be taken care of by the dealer and the sooner the better.

Peter

Just went to my Ford dealer where I bought it at and the Service Manager took photo's of the defect to send to Ford for approval. He stated the entire door would have to be repainted and that area obviously sanded down. My concern is it being a paint match. I'm assuming since the paint is fairly new it should not be difficult to match, however the white platinum is a tri coat paint which can be tricky to paint (My mustangs are Redfire which when I had a repaint never match cause it's also a tri coat). So I guess the question is, do I live with this since it's on the bottom of the door and well not to noticeable or fix it and do a dance to the gods the paint matches.

Just went to my Ford dealer where I bought it at and the Service Manager took photo's of the defect to send to Ford for approval. He stated the entire door would have to be repainted and that area obviously sanded down. My concern is it being a paint match. I'm assuming since the paint is fairly new it should not be difficult to match, however the white platinum is a tri coat paint which can be tricky to paint (My mustangs are Redfire which when I had a repaint never match cause it's also a tri coat). So I guess the question is, do I live with this since it's on the bottom of the door and well not to noticeable or fix it and do a dance to the gods the paint matches.
Being that it is a white paint, I would guess that it would be easier to match as opposed to another colour. The decision is yours but it is definitely a defect. How well do you dance? :D

Peter

Don't know why they have to send pics to Ford for approval, my dealerships body shop manager not service manager approved it on the spot. The greys and silvers are certainly harder to match. After the repairs don't sign the papers until you are completely satisfied.

Also, look at the new paint in different light, direct sunlight, in the shade, and from different angles etc.

If you choose not to paint,YOU will always know the defect is there.

Good luck-tinner

Being that it is a white paint, I would guess that it would be easier to match as opposed to another colour. The decision is yours but it is definitely a defect. How well do you dance? :D

Peter

depends on my moonshine intake. Guess we might be drinking a lot this weekend. LOL

Well it's not necessarily white, guess it's in the white family, but it's white platinum. So it has that iridescent or tint clear coat that goes on top of the base. That is what I'm worried about matching.

I also just thought of something. I had the a clear bra installed yesterday and they also did my door edges. Crap, Ford is going to have to pay for the reinstalled of the clear door edge.

Don't know why they have to send pics to Ford for approval, my dealerships body shop manager not service manager approved it on the spot. The greys and silvers are certainly harder to match. After the repairs don't sign the papers until you are completely satisfied.

Also, look at the new paint in different light, direct sunlight, in the shade, and from different angles etc.

If you choose not to paint,YOU will always know the defect is there.

Good luck-tinner
I had the rear quarter panel on my metallic silver '09 Highlander repainted and it looked very good. About 2 months later I happened to look out of the office window and across the parking lot and noticed that there seemed to be a slight difference in the colour. Looked good from up close.

Peter

The only way dealer will pay for your clear film on the door edges are if you had the dealership knowing installed it with the blem clearly insight. If you had it installed by an aftermarket shop noticing the blem, you will probably eat the cost of the film or drink it.

tinner

The only way dealer will pay for your clear film on the door edges are if you had the dealership knowing installed it with the blem clearly insight. If you had it installed by an aftermarket shop noticing the blem, you will probably eat the cost of the film or drink it.

tinner

It was installed yesterday by my tint guy and noticed the blem today! Oh well, it's only a door edge. I've had 5 cars already done by him so I'm sure it won't be much to just redo the edge of the door.

Just went to my Ford dealer where I bought it at and the Service Manager took photo's of the defect to send to Ford for approval. He stated the entire door would have to be repainted and that area obviously sanded down...

marioski,

Sounds like your dealer is working with you to get this resolved. If you need a hand, shoot me over a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley

marioski,

Sounds like your dealer is working with you to get this resolved. If you need a hand, shoot me over a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Ashley

Thanks Ashley. Will do. I'll give the dealer sometime, the service manager seemed very nice and helpful and said I should hear something back by mid week. We'll see where it goes from there.

Back