• Register Today It's free!

14 Explorer RPM Weird Issue

Billy Dunwoody

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
2014 Explorer XLT FWD. i have noticed off and on when my car is idling, mainly in park, the idle would go down to 500 and back up multiple times. It does not happen all the time. This morning, I noticed it was doing the same thing but it would make a click noise when the RPM moved down to 500. Anyone have any suggestions? I turned off the A/C while it was doing this, but it would still do it. Im having trouble attaching a video.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was another thread on this exact issue. Did you try searching for a similar thread?

There was another thread on this exact issue. Did you try searching for a similar thread?
I did. Found one related to a sport but that was during acceleration not at idle. Found another one, but it was for a 2004 Explorer. Can you link it if you find it?
It's at my mechanic's shop right now and he just called saying he can't find anything wrong with it even after I showed him the video

Check vacuum hose, PCV hose etc...

I did. Found one related to a sport but that was during acceleration not at idle. Found another one, but it was for a 2004 Explorer. Can you link it if you find it?
It's at my mechanic's shop right now and he just called saying he can't find anything wrong with it even after I showed him the video
If you pulled up a thread on a 2004 Explorer then you didn't narrow your search to the 5th generation "Discussion" subforum. In the link that blwnsmoke provided above, there's a post about the throttle body causing it. Good luck.

Peter

Thanks guys. Mechanic said everything looked good and his computer didn't show anything. I had him replace the throttle body with a new on from the Ford dealer. $100 for the part and only charged me .5hrs for labor because my K+N CAI actually made it easier to pop off the TB. 2 days later, everything is fine and actually seems smoother.

I've had this happen on multiple vehicles, and the answer always seems to be that the throttle body is dirty, and it's time for a cleaning. I guess you took care of that by replacing it.

Back