14 Explorer Slow to Shift when Turning Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

14 Explorer Slow to Shift when Turning Wheel

Billy Dunwoody

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
My 2014 Explorer has 28k miles on it and has a unique problem. I took it to the dealer again for this, and they are still saying there is nothing they can find. Here's what happens:

When I am in reverse backing up only while turning the wheel pretty far to the left or right and I put the car into drive, the car takes at least 3 seconds to shift into drive. If the wheel is not turned to the left or right, the shift is usually instant or 1second. One time I did this and I guess I pressed the gas before the transmission shifted from Reverse to Drive because the SUV just jerked.

Does this have anything to do with the electronic steering pump and transmission working together? Or is this normal?

I have used ForScan Extended License and have found no error codes at all. I also drained and refilled the transmission with new fluid twice and this problem still exits.

I've noticed similar behavior, though I hadn't linked it to steering. I'll have to pay more attention.

I've noticed something similar with my 2016 - If I back out of my driveway or a parking spot, stop, then shift to drive I will get a harsh/delayed shift into first when I accelerate if my wheels are still turned. No harsh/delayed shift if I straighten the wheels before accelerating. Like most other problems, it seems repeatable until you really need it to do it for someone else and then it doesn't want to do it.

Have you done any live monitoring of trans data in Forscan to see what it shows when you experience the problem?

Back