• Register Today It's free!

14 Sport - HVAC issue with 'Auto"

6JEFF6

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford explorer sport
Just picked explorer up yesterday and auto setting does not adjust fans or temp of air when chosen on touch screen. Can + all the way up or - all the way down to no avail. If I take off auto can raise and lower fans .

Any help would be great
Fyi these sport 3.5 ecos are fun

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Just to clarify, do you have a 2014 as in the thread title or a 2017 as shown in your margin profile? Or perhaps both?

Peter

Just to clarify, do you have a 2014 as in the thread title or a 2017 as shown in your margin profile? Or perhaps both?

Peter
It is a 14.. I had a moment after 12ish hrs of driving lol sorry

Peter
I am replacing the outside air temp sensor(failed so ordered) and I did go in with forscan and reset apim and it didn't help.

I am replacing the outside air temp sensor(failed so ordered) and I did go in with forscan and reset apim and it didn't help.
It does seem to me that the issue would be connected to the outside air temperature sensor. Possibly an issue with the HVAC control module? :dunno:

Peter

It does seem to me that the issue would be connected to the outside air temperature sensor. Possibly an issue with the HVAC control module? :dunno:

Peter
Idk.. I've read and read and have yet to see a fix for it.. so I'm replacing that sensor to start... seems screen replacement didn't work for anyone

On my '15, it's either on "Auto" or it isn't. If it's put on "Auto" than manually adjusted, it drops out of Auto.

On "Auto", all you do is set the temperature on either the screen or the panel and it does everything else.

On my '15, it's either on "Auto" or it isn't. If it's put on "Auto" than manually adjusted, it drops out of Auto.

On "Auto", all you do is set the temperature on either the screen or the panel and it does everything else.
Ya and fan never ever comes off of lowest speed it just barely puts out a little warm air. Can go to hi and wait it never changes or 50(can't remember) and also never ever tries to raise fan speed. Drove back 4hrs and left on auto for hrs and it didn't change

I also ordered a blower motor Resistor kit to put it in..

Will update as stuff is tried

I also ordered a blower motor Resistor kit to put it in..
Your car doesn't have one of those. It uses the electronic blower speed control module instead.

The Dorman kit is poorly named, probably due to inertia rather than naming it properly. That said, it is the auto speed control version rather than the actual "resistor" version.

It's highly recommended to stick with the Ford/Motorcraft version. The aftermarket modules have seemed to be hit and miss.

The Dorman kit is poorly named, probably due to inertia rather than naming it properly. That said, it is the auto speed control version rather than the actual "resistor" version.

It's highly recommended to stick with the Ford/Motorcraft version. The aftermarket modules have seemed to be hit and miss.
Well crap it's on its way already.. I'll let you know but I'm guessing it'll be the brain box and that won't come until the 9th of next month sadly

Seems it'll be a broken wire by what I can find with that code

The P0073 code indicates that there's an issue with the sensor that reads the temperature of the inside of the car. It can be used to adjust operating conditions depending on the outside temperature, and it's also used to display the outside temperature.

Peter

The P0073 code indicates that there's an issue with the sensor that reads the temperature of the inside of the car. It can be used to adjust operating conditions depending on the outside temperature, and it's also used to display the outside temperature.

Peter

Thank you.
I'll be replacing that today along with pigtail and resetting/placing straight gap sensor as it reads large power wires above vehicle only lol

Well that blew my mind.. outside temp sensor and pig tail replacement made the heat/cool auto work correctly now...
Replacing steering wheel buttons did not fix cruise control so I'm assuming clock spring replacement will be needed

Ran the test from this link(here) '14 Explorer Code P188B AWD Clutch Control Circuit Issue

And ohms on 1st test failed and came in at 1.8 ohms so ecu for awd is shot.. will have to use junkyard, new is not available anymore.
Part # bt4a-7h417-eb and will hopefully buy one from junkyard on Monday and will post back

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back