15" or 16" Wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15" or 16" Wheels

I am considering new wheels & tires for my 2001 Ranger Edge 4X4. It has the factory 16" x 7" wheels on it now. The 15" wheels and tires appear to be a better choice (lighter, cheaper, better selection) than the 16" wheel/tire combo. Is there any advantage to keeping the 16" wheel size? Why did Ford go to the 16" wheels?

15" wheels are still the "standard" size for truck tires, and usually offer the broadest range of choices for both tires and wheels. A tire in a 15" size also has more sidewall than the same diameter tire in a 16" size.

The main "advantage" to a 16" wheel is the lower profile sidewall, which allows for a better performing tire, at least in terms of regular use. In some ways, this is a disadvantage on a vehicle used off-road, as a lower profile tire has less sidewall flex, and offers less protection to the wheel, especially when the tires are aired down.

Ford most likely went to a 16" wheel for cosmetic reasons, as in the late 90's and early 2000's, the "low profile" tire look that was popular on showtrucks and performance vehicles eventually came over to the OE market, and trucks that usually came with just 15" wheels started having much larger alloy wheels as factory options. Ford also might have made the decision based on the Firestone tire incident, and decided to go with a 16" wheel and tire combo in order to offer a slightly lower profile tire and wider tread to go along with how many people were using their Explorer and Ranger, on road and as a daily driven family vehicle, and not quite the 50/50 rugged on/off road performer as the 91-94 Explorer and previous Bronco II. Lower and base model Explorers and Rangers still did get 15" wheels, though.

You could always keep your 16" wheels and either just use the stock tires or get highway treads or even All-Terrains on them for daily use, and get a set of aftermarket 15's with off-road tires if you'd use them enough. 16" sizes are common enough now that they aren't TOO much more than popular 15" sizes (in some cases I've seen 16's that are actually less), and of course having to purchase a set of wheels negates any savings you'd get from going to 15" tires, anyway, unless you sell your old wheels and tires to make up the difference or more.

Back