• Register Today It's free!

15 PIU TPMS question

MBorkowsky

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Interceptor Utility
Hello all. New to the forum and proud owner of a 2015 PIU, a retired unit out of South Carolina. Recently took it to a local dealer to have the TPMS message diagnosed. Apparently their are 4 or 5 plugs that do not have a home in my center console. What they are telling me is there is a module missing for the TPMS. Was wondering if anyone knows what module is missing and if possible the part number. Thank you all In advance for any info!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Here is diagram from the Component Location thread for the 2011-2015 retail Explorer. C3641 seems to be the connector.

1624033338519.png

Found this thread but it doesn't actually identify the module by part number. TPMS Module Location?
After some Internet searching and using the AutoNation Ford parts site, I think this may be it. 2011-2019 Ford Tire Pressure Monitoring System Receiver BB5Z-15K602-L | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

Thank you. One more question....the tech said the TPMS and the keyless entry work off the same antenna. I took this with skepticism. Do you know if that module when hooked up will get my keyless entry working?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Here is diagram from the Component Location thread for the 2011-2015 retail Explorer. C3641 seems to be the connector.

View attachment 332724

Found this thread but it doesn't actually identify the module by part number. TPMS Module Location?
After some Internet searching and using the AutoNation Ford parts site, I think this may be it. 2011-2019 Ford Tire Pressure Monitoring System Receiver BB5Z-15K602-L | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

I hate TPMS!! I’ve had issues in almost every car I’ve owned. The sensors seem to go out all the time and for the information they offer, I found them to simply not be worth my time or $$. I just got in FORScan and turned it all off. No more TPMS trouble lights for me. The tire pressure gets checked regularly and at oil changes. Sorry, rant over.

FWIW, I've never had issues with TPMS in any vehicle I've had.

Peter

FWIW, I've never had issues with TPMS in any vehicle I've had.

Peter
Lucky. It gets expensive to replace 4 sensors and all they do is let you knowing your tire pressures REALLY low? I mean, make em do something more, but you count on those sensors to warn you about your air pressure, you should be riding a bike lol. I love the fact that you can turn that whole warning system off in Fords

Lucky. It gets expensive to replace 4 sensors and all they do is let you knowing your tire pressures REALLY low? I mean, make em do something more, but you count on those sensors to warn you about your air pressure, you should be riding a bike lol. I love the fact that you can turn that whole warning system off in Fords
I did have one activate in my Highlander while highway driving into the city and found I had a nail in the sidewall when I stopped in at a store I was going to. I wasn't far from my dealer and they replaced the tire.

Peter

I did have one activate in my Highlander while highway driving into the city and found I had a nail in the sidewall when I stopped in at a store I was going to. I wasn't far from my dealer and they replaced the tire.

Peter
In that scenario, on the highway, the TPMS still wouldn’t help. It might give you an extra 1 minute heads up that your tire is going flat, but that’s. If someone has a really good argument for TPMS in a car, I’d love to hear.

In that scenario, on the highway, the TPMS still wouldn’t help. It might give you an extra 1 minute heads up that your tire is going flat, but that’s. If someone has a really good argument for TPMS in a car, I’d love to hear.
It never did go flat. Just lost some pressure. After I reached my designation, I had to walk around the vehicle to find out which tire was causing the warning and it wasn't all that evident but did eventually find it. I was able to drive to the dealership without any problem. It saved me a possible issue on the drive home which would be mostly a 25 mile highway drive and then there would not have been a dealer in the area to take it to assuming it didn't go flat on the way.
That TPMS warning saved me a lot of potential headaches. There is your argument.

Peter

It never did go flat. Just lost some pressure. After I reached my designation, I had to walk around the vehicle to find out which tire was causing the warning and it wasn't all that evident but did eventually find it. I was able to drive to the dealership without any problem. It saved me a possible issue on the drive home which would be mostly a 25 mile highway drive and then there would not have been a dealer in the area to take it to assuming it didn't go flat on the way.
That TPMS warning saved me a lot of potential headaches. There is your argument.

Peter
Not compelling enough for me to even consider that system being effective. I’m glad it worked out for you. Wait until they all start going back and then reevaluate the value you got. I’ll never see it and I’ll never recover all the money I’ve spent in bad sensor replacement.

Back