15 x 7 stock wheel offset | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15 x 7 stock wheel offset

Hi Fellas.

I have a 97 XLT with a stock 15 x 7 alluminum tear drop wheel. Does anyone know the exact offset or back space of these babies?

Since I already know how much more I could fit inside the wheel well using these wheel, I could easily upgrade my wheel/tire.

I currently have the aforemention wheel with 265 70 15. I plan to up grade to 17 x 9 with 285 60 17. Is this doable?

Thanks all.:p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably doable, but it would be very ugly.

Stock BS is 4-4.5" depending on the rim. You may have trouble fitting a wide tire like that without rubbing.

The 15" rim is from a 97. If the backspace is 4-4.5 then that means the offset isn't zero?

I'm confuse...

Honestly I don't know the offset (think it's zero). What I was saying is that various X/Ranger rims range from 4 to 4.5" BS. Yours are probably 4.5.

Emon, I just measured my backspacing. It is 4 1/8", measured from the flange which the tire bead rests on. Some people measure from the extreme outside edge of the wheel, which will add on another 1/2".

This gives an offset of +5/8". I think the Ford specs are actually +20mm, which is pretty close to 5/8".

All of the above measurements are on a 7" wide rim.

Back