15000 mile service? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15000 mile service?

biggusmickus

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Hi there
I'm overseas at the moment and my wife has mailed to say that she's had a serious email and a scary follow up call from the dealer saying that we're overdue on the scheduled 15K service, that it's an important one and that Ford will expect this to have been done if there are any warranty claims. The dealer said that it should be $250, but would do it for $199 since we had the 10k done there, but from what she could tell he said it was an oil and filter change, general inspection and tire rotation.

I've just had a scan through a pdf of the manual and can't see anything about a 15k scheduled service. Also does this $250/$199 not sound a bit high end for oil, filter and tires? I've scanned the forum and can't find anything on this, so I'm very grateful for any advice before I call them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wish I knew the answer. Personally I would call any random dealer and ask them what the service intervals are... Maybe a few just to get some overlapping info.

Maybe that plus a fall to Ford directly could get you the info you need. At least in the older vehicles the service intervals are kinda vague and make it a little challenging to figure out what you need to do and when

There is no 10000 mile, 15000 mile, 30000 mile, etc service which the factory owner's manual calls for. You can find the manual on line and check the maintenance schedule to see for yourself. It does state to do several inspections and checks at each oil change but those should be done with the services provided by a Works Package which I list below.

Right now my Ford dealer has a coupon to do an oil change (using Motorcraft synthetic blend oil, Motorcraft oil filter, rotate the tires, test the battery, inspect the brakes, and do other inspections for a total of $39.95. There is a $10.00 rebate so the final price is $29.95 plus tax, shop supplies, and perhaps the extra oil above 5 quarts.

This Works Package coupon is on the Ford owner's site, so you should be able to copy or print it.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ServiceCouponsPage

This is nothing but spam from the dealer trying to drum up service business! Just like Robocalls and telemarketers! They word it that what to scare you into paying for a service you obviously do not need. Ignore it. I get them all the time. even from dealers of vehicles I no longer own.

Yup.. ignore it. Just make sure you get your oil changes done (I follow the oil life monitor) and you are good to go. I have almost 58,000 on mine with only oil changes and have NEVER had any issues with warranty.

As stated, this is just a ploy to drum up service business. In fairness I do get mailers in the mail saying it's time for my XX,x.. service but these are automatically generated based on the dealership estimating my current mileage. They go from the mailbox to the trash can.

This is a scam.....oil,filter, inspection, tire rotation should cost less than $50 without any coupons or discounts...have this done every 6K miles or so.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. The dealer gave me the works deal at the 10k service, a few months back, and indeed this sounds pretty much the same, so as you say, sounds like a scare tactic. In fact, just checking their site, they've also got the $39 works deal. Had my wife check the oil life and it's at 51%, so I'll hold off until I get back. Thanks again.

Back