15s on a 3rd Gen...Well, Almost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15s on a 3rd Gen...Well, Almost

Did a test fit and they ALMOOOOOOST make it. Hits on the lower part of the spindle. Clears the caliper just fine though:D Might have to have a little trimming of the dust shield.

Now heres the question, the spindle is made of aluminum and looks like it just needs a hair shaved off. Would this be possible. I'm saying less than a 1/4inch tapered towards the back. If any of you guys have one you can see how I mean. Looks like it would be sturdy enough to do it, but I have no Idea what its load and wat it can handle.

Attachments

• mvc-685s.jpg
    mvc-685s.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 396

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where it hits, hits there and on the rear right below the caliper

Attachments

• mvc-686s.jpg
    mvc-686s.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 573

W/O wheel. You can see the squarish thing there sticking out

Attachments

• mvc-687s.jpg
    mvc-687s.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 371

W/O flash, might be easier to see

Attachments

• mvc-688s.jpg
    mvc-688s.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 374

And finally, the backside:

Attachments

• mvc-689s.jpg
    mvc-689s.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 379

Why would you want to put those 15s on?

Trim it! I did the same on my father's B150 Dodge Ram. No biggie.

You don't think this will reduce its structual integrity?

And for you Hartman, not everyone is geared towards street and wants to stuff 20s with rubber band tires in their wheel wells. I have these, and this is eventually gonna be mine someday. Besides the stance its gonna give this thing will be awsome!!

I'm just saying, why not stick with the stock 17s, I don't see a reason to downgrade.

Originally posted by Hartman
I'm just saying, why not stick with the stock 17s, I don't see a reason to downgrade.

Agree... And I'm not the 20 stuffin' type either. IAmTodd, that reply to Hartman was kinda A$$hole~ish when he was simply asking why you would go from a 17" wheel to a 15" wheel.

lol....i think it looks funny.....but i think it looks good with them on too....:cool:

adam

Originally posted by IAmTodd
You don't think this will reduce its structual integrity?

You would think so but nope. He's been driving it around since '94. I was the one who trimmed it, using a grinding tool. :)

Well then! Thats what I'll do if I end up with it. I didn't test fit the rear, but it *should* be fine. Sorry hartman if that came off "assholeish" but its what I have. And if thats what I wanna put on, leave it be! I don't like the big wheel look.

Originally posted by IAmTodd
Well then! Thats what I'll do if I end up with it. I didn't test fit the rear, but it *should* be fine. Sorry hartman if that came off "assholeish" but its what I have. And if thats what I wanna put on, leave it be! I don't like the big wheel look.

'Tis a free country my friend :D

I am tinking on doing the rear disc brakes on mine, did the 15's clear the rear calipers and rotors?

I am tinking on doing the rear disc brakes on mine, did the 15's clear the rear calipers and rotors?

Didn't try it. But they *look* Identical to 2nd gens. So I would think they would.

todd isnt that your dads??

Yes, and prolly sumtime down the line, maybe the end of next summer. But the front seats have to be changed out. Those ones sit too high. The true '02s have the lower ones with the headrests and those will be swapped in.

Sounds and looks good. I'm downgrading to 15's tomorrow, from my stock 16's...Hope everything works out well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This one's dug up from the grave!!

I must say, things have changed since then!

Back