16 inch tire size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

16 inch tire size

As replacements for the Firestones on our 98 xlt, I've decided to get BF Goodrich AT/KO tires. However, they are not available in the stick size, 255/70-16. They do come in 265/70-16. That's about 1.5 inches taller overall.

Will these fit without modification?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even if they do fit, you're gonna be going faster than your speedo says.

When I put My 32"- 10.5's on they rubbed like crazy till I did the TT/add-a-leaf , then they rubbed a little till I trimmed and added ranchos ...Now no rub . Those to sizes are equivelant ..

Originally posted by Drew98xlt
As replacements for the Firestones on our 98 xlt, I've decided to get BF Goodrich AT/KO tires. However, they are not available in the stick size, 255/70-16. They do come in 265/70-16. That's about 1.5 inches taller overall.

Will these fit without modification?

Thanks

i may be wrong, but isn't the 255/70 and the 265/70 generally the same height, but it's just the width thats different???

265/70/16 & 255/70/16 have a difference of about 1/2" in terms of diameter.
Speedo will read about 1mph less than what the truck is really doing. So with the new tires, you'd have to go 59mph to be doing 60mph via radar.
At the same time, although the difference in circumference is small, the odometer reading will be inaccurate as well (but that's getting into details).

Whoops , Thats right I confused 265-70 as 265-75 . I compared them to my 32's you should be fine w/265-70 and stock height . They aren't much bigger than stock ..Sorry ....

Drew,
With the info that Bandit posted, the 245 tire will actually be skinnier in width then the stiock P255/70 that is on explorers. the 267/75 will require a lift of about 2" or so and some trimming to stop rubbing. If you wanted to stick with the stock size as I have chosen to do, you could look into getting a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires. the AT/S tires are excellent off road all terrain tires from what I hear and someone also said they are quieter on the street then the BFG AT KO. My boss has the 31x 10.50 BFG AT KO on his blazer and he likes them, but complains that the noise they make is bad and the ride is a little rougher. I will be getting my goodyear AT/S tires in a couple weeks, so if you would like i can e-mail you and let you know how they are.
Hope this helps a bit.

I have the 265/70R16 BFG AT KOs on my 1998 Eddie Bauer. I am not sure if they'll fit on an xlt since the EB has the larger flares. However, mine fit and work great with no lift.

thanks for the info

All this great discussion about 265/70-16 tires and I realized I made a mistake in the size. They are really 265/75-16 as someone pointed out.

I guess I'll either look for a BF Goodrich at/ko in 245/75-16 or get the Goodyear Wangler rt/s in the 255/70-16.

Funny, at the bfgoodrich web site, www.bfgoodrichtires.com they say that the at/ko is available in the 255/70-16. I'll have to look into that.

Drew,
If you decide to go with goodyears I would say the AT/S would be much more like the AT KO. The RT/S goodyear isn't half as good os the At/s in offroad or very snowy situations.

95xlt

95xlt-
I noticed in your signiture you say you have wilderness at's. hmmm just never seen anyone on here make it public that they still have them.
grant-P

LOL..I ment to make the upgraded size more public then the crappy tires...
Oh well...my AT/S will be on in a few weeks

I went with 265/75/16 Pirelli ATs on a 11/4" lift (T/T) on the front only, with no rubbing or fouling of the wheel arches.

they do make the tires in 255, but there $20 more than the 265's. THERE GOING TO RUB if you get 265's, i put em on my 99 and they rubbed so i took them off. im waiting to do the shckle, TT SO I CAN SAVE $20 a tire.

The exact math for figuring out tire size is ... you take the first set of numbers (265) and divide that by 25.4
that will give you the width of the tire (10.43"). To find the profile you take the second number which is actually a percent and multiply that percent (70%) to the width. (10.43 x .70= 7.3) 7.3 is the profile. to find the overall height you add 7.3 to 7.3 (the 2 side profiles) plus the rim size (16)
which gives you about 30.6..
So... 31" tire is .4" taller then the 265 70 r16's
Any Questions???

must be a difference between european explorer and US version, as I get no rub and the rear is at standard ride height, I do intend to do the add a leaf or warrior shackle lift, but the arn't easy to get in the UK, if someione knows the dimensionds of the warrior shackle I come get some made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah they do make the AT KO's in the stock 255/70r16s.. like said above, they cost more than the 265 though.

Back