• Register Today It's free!

16 Sport 800 Mile Review

TinMan4154

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
So before I begin, I want everyone to know this is just my opinion and hope it will give others who are considering purchasing an Explorer some items to consider before signing their paycheck away for the next few years...

Prior to purchasing my 16 Explorer Sport this year I had owned a 2001 and 2005 Ford Explorer along with a 2007 Expedition. I traded a 2010 Chevy Tahoe in for the 16 Explorer. The new looks of the 16 Explorer are what captured my attention and made me want to come back to the Explorer.

The looks of the 2016 Explorer are just killer in my opinion. I am unable to think of another SUV out right now that can match the looks of the Explorer and the Sport to be specific. The new front end design with the LED accent lights, low beams, and fogs really make this vehicle stand out in a crowd. The interior of the vehicle is equally as nice on the eyes and everyone should note it is the quietest interior I have ever experienced. I simply cannot say enough about the appearance of the 16 Explorer. Everyone who sees it agrees! Only negative thing I can say in reference to looks is the lower plastic around the vehicle. Just screams cheap to me...

The MFT/SYNC is simple to use and offers simple options to control about everything in the vehicle. I do wish it had SYNC 3 in it, and frown on Ford for not being able to get in to the 16 Explorer. Everyone knows the issues with SYNC 2 so I will not bore everyone with those details. The Sony sound system is great, and with the quite interior ride of the Explorer it makes it that much better.

The leather seats of the 16 Explorer feel like quality material and I really find the ride quite comfortable. I have read others who complained about the seats, but I love them and all of my passengers so far agree. I have the WeatherTech floor mats installed and love the way they fit the explorer.

The interior of the vehicle is comfortable and feels like it has plenty of room. This is good and bad, as it makes the vehicle feel like it is bigger on the outside than it really is.

The Explorer drives really nice. It handles very well, is responsive, and breaks smoothly. The 3.5L Ecoboost is very powerful and lives up to its reputation. You can easily be driving 80MPH and it feel like you are only doing 40MPH. It takes curves nicely and corners quickly. My steering wheel is a bit off center which drives by OCD crazy but Ford has checked it and advised me it was in spec and so close they could not get it any closer to center. Only mechanical flaw I have with the Explorer so far.

Pros:
Looks
3.5L Ecoboost Motor
Sport suspension and tuning

Cons:
Ford quality control. (Several small paint issues which I am still trying to get Ford to own up to)
SYNC 2 / MFT - I have had had the Entertainment attempt to connect to my phone twice when it was on FM or Sirius AND it has rebooted with Performing Scheduled Maintenance twice while driving. (Ford really should have put SYNC 3 in for the 2016)

Summary:
The 2016 Explorer is a sweet ride with killer looks. In comparison to other vehicles on the market it is the best bang for the buck if you do a thorough inspection and ensure all is in spec prior to driving away. I like my vehicles to be perfect (my cars are garage kept and hand cleaned at least bi-weekly) and with the paint problems I have experienced it is hard for me to give this a perfect review. After dealing with the dealer and Ford customer service it is clear they do not take pride in their vehicles and only care about selling them. However, if you were like me and have to have a 16 Explorer PLEASE look it over thoroughly and do a good test drive before signing anything.

800 mile wash pics:
20151124_133642.jpg

20151124_133518.jpg

20151124_133623.jpg

20151124_133549.jpg

20151124_133558_001.jpg

20151124_133533.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

great review, thank you for the info, i just went from a 06 g6 to a 16 sport, gotta ask though did you smoke your tail lights a little or was that stock?

sucks about the paint and im deff going to look into that when i pick mine up in a couple days

great review, thank you for the info, i just went from a 06 g6 to a 16 sport, gotta ask though did you smoke your tail lights a little or was that stock?

sucks about the paint and im deff going to look into that when i pick mine up in a couple days

Factory tail lights. And yes do not let the dealer rush you. Take your time and look over the vehicle very good prior to signing anything. Dealing with Ford is a royal pain in the ass. I had to file a complaint with the BBB and am meeting with a Ford Engineer next week...

Nice vehicle! You might try another dealership on the steering wheel. They can get the steering wheel in any set position you want by adjusting the tie rod ends. Set the steering wheel EXACTLY where YOU want it and then have them align it. If your OCD is as you suggest, go to a shop that will let YOU sit in the car and set the wheel where you like it and then have them set the alignment. Might cost you $50 for the front end alignment, but if your OCD is that bad, it will be well worth it...

Shumax

The first one we drove had the wheel perfect. The 2nd one was slightly off and it bugged me, but I guarantee they would have also said it was in spec. It was barely off, but I can't stand it if it isn't PERFECT. Our Magnetic is showing up next week. I hope this one is like the first one we drove and has the wheel perfect. Have there been any paint issues with the Magnetics? It sounds like most are with the black.

What is the issue with the paint?

The first one we drove had the wheel perfect. The 2nd one was slightly off and it bugged me, but I guarantee they would have also said it was in spec. It was barely off, but I can't stand it if it isn't PERFECT. Our Magnetic is showing up next week. I hope this one is like the first one we drove and has the wheel perfect. Have there been any paint issues with the Magnetics? It sounds like most are with the black.

The only paint issues I have observed are on the Shadow Black ones.

What is the issue with the paint?

Not sure what the exact issue is that is the cause. Will let everyone know what the Engineer says on Friday. Mine has what appears to be a crater, several small pimples (maybe dirt in paint?), and a couple very small bubbles.

Back