• Register Today It's free!

1600 Mile Road trip need Advice

5.0limited00

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited V8
In about ten days i will be heading out for Snowshoe, West Virginia where I will be spending spring break. is there any advice you guys could give me before I go about pre trip maintance on the 2000 AWD X. I just switched all fluids over to amsoil last month so I should be okay there. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question. You're from Florida, why go somewhere cold!!! Being in Michigan, nobody stays around here if they don't have to. If it would warm up to 50, I'd have shorts on.

P.S. - West Virginia is cold, isn't it? (My inner map visualizing isn't working)

ya i am heading there with a bunch of people for spring break. I live in Florida and get to go to the beach every weekend except for maybe 2 or 3 months of the year. Ihave been to all the spring break Hot spots over the years so this year I opted to go snow boarding instead of to the beach. A bunch of schools go to this mountain for spring break so it should be fun. AWD should be great in the snow i cant wait!

Being that your vehicle is not that old, and since you changed all of your fluids, I would just before heading out, maybe the night before, check them again and make sure everything it topped off, and check your tire pressures, AND your spare and make sure that they are up to specs, or at least where you want them. I put more air in my tires that what Ford reccomends.

Check all of your lights, and make sure that they are working, and are clean.

Other than that, you should be ok. Have a good trip!

Carry the most important roadside tool - a cell phone.

Other than fluid and tire pressure checks, I would check the condition of your serpentine belt and hoses for any cracks or premature wear.

Have fun.

Ah Snow Shoe I used to go there and ride my mountian bike every fall.
Very nice place. People are real friendly there.

Plenty of windshield washer fluid, an extra spary can will be helpful. Salt on the windshield is tough to see through.

Also make sure your spare tire has plenty of air.

Originally posted by 5.0limited00
In about ten days i will be heading out for Snowshoe, West Virginia where I will be spending spring break.

Snowshoe is great! I go up there very chance I get...
Lucky me it's only an hour away :D

My advice: If your not going to stop to get food every now and then bring a beast supply of road-trip food.

Also make sure your CD collection is up to par.

Bring a portable dvd to entertain the passengers.

So let me get this straight, us notherners go south for spring break, you southerners come north for spring break? AAAAHHHH, I get it. Sounds like you got it in good shape, don't forget power steering fluid though. ;) Check the brake fluid too. Give it a good check underneath too. Can't hurt right?

Wait wait, I know what you HAVE to get before you go....one of those 5 lb. boxes of Twizzlers! They are great for any road trip. When I was younger it was a necessity and still is something that has to be in the car before I get in.

Gee, we go that far in Texas just to get a good cup of coffee!

Happy Trails

Mike

You better hope there is snow left by then. I do amature forecasting and I see 50+ temps for a few days on end this week and weekend. Unless they blow snow and allot of it....its going to be mud and grass.

ON EDIT: The website for that place says they have 6 feet. They must have blown snow every possible day of the winter.. You should be ok...

Advice: PANAMA CITY!!!
Spring Break = Warm sunny weather, beach, beer, and boobies. Stay away from the bitter cold up here! Take the gas money and pay for an extra day or two on the beach!:D

get one of those 'fix a flat' cans that attach to your tires if you get a flat. Also, check your air filter - make sure it is clean. Get some jumper cables. Lastly, have fun... your ex hasn't broken down in the past 1600 miles... why would it break down now? =P

i don't care what anybody says about it,

fix-a-flat or fix-a-****(thats what i call it)

doesn't work worth a ****,

you'd be better off taking a plug repair kit and a tank of compressed air

Or just your spare, jack, and wench would probably do. :D

Not to mention Fix-a-flat smells so freakin' nasty.

Do your tire changer a favor and tell him when your tire has fix-a-flat in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get your hands on a good radar detector! And learn how to use it (i.e. don't slam on the brakes at every chirp)

Also, pick up one of these things:
http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=aed75
Power inverter that plugs right in to the cig lighter. With it, you don't have to carry a car charger for cell phones, laptops, pdas, digital cameras, whatever. Just use the same one you'll use in the hotel room. You won't have to worry about battery life on a laptop for games or dvds (for your passengers, not you-- you keep your eyes on the road).

Since you're going somewhere wintery, take a can of de-icer. Just came back from snowboarding in New Mexico and I wished I had taken some.

If you have time, wash and wax and apply RainX to the windows before you go. It'll make the salt/mud/grime come off easier later.

Happy boarding!

Back