• Register Today It's free!

17" Alloy Wheels

FirstExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Flower Mound, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4WD
I did a thread search on 17" wheel upgrades for my 1991 XLT 4WD, but I did not find many threads. The front hubs always present an fit issue. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good looking but retro style 17" alloy wheel.

I may replace with NOS 15" 5-hole reproduction alloys to top off a correct resto on my '91. I can get those all day long, but are there any manufacturers that stand out for quality?

I am the original owner of my '91, resto almost complete...pic uploads coming. It looks like day one from the dealer. I get a lot of comments when I drive around. I have a feeling these will become collectable in the near future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Later Explorers/Sport Tracs give lots of available 16", 17", 18" and even 20" options.

The 17's are less common and only offer a few styles but they are out there.

If you're doing a resto though, just using the original wheels would probably be the way to go. You could even get Firestone Destination AT tires to top it off.

Pretty much anything from a newer Explorer fits. May have to open the front center hole to fit the hubs.
I have a feeling these will become collectable in the near future.
Sorry man...you bought & restored the wrong vehicle.

Thanks Anime,
I really like the Firestone idea, and I think you may be right about using the stock 15".

That is cool, owned it all that time...Not many can say that.

That is cool, owned it all that time...Not many can say that.

I agree 110%!

I'd go with stock 15's and what ever 235/R15 AT tires that strike your fancy.

Back