17 Explorer Sport - recent body work; outside road noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17 Explorer Sport - recent body work; outside road noise

I just had my '17 Explorer Sport come out of the body shop. Someone lightly sideswiped it, but just enough to make me want to get it fixed. As part of the repair, the body shop replaced the driver door outer shell, but in general did some work on both driver door and left passenger door.

Fast forward to today. I've been back to the body shop 3x asking for adjustments because when I drive, even at lower speeds (20-30) it sounds like the window or door is not fully closed. The body shop thinks I'm insane, but I know something isn't right. Then when I drive on the highway I get a very slight reverberation in my ear (almost like the back window is cracked) and it drives me crazy.

I've done all I could to try to isolate the problem, including taping up the B and A pillars. When I put my ear close to the base of the inner window sill, the road noise is most pronounced, leading me to believe that perhaps the window wasn't installed correctly.

My thoughts on the cause:
1. When the window is rolled up, there is a slight gap but you really have to look closely. I'm thinking the window needs to be more flush to the weather stripping.
2. The outside of the B pillar where the number keypad is looks to be just a little off, compared to the passenger side of the vehicle.

I've put a call into Geico because I think I've done enough to try to rectify with the body shop. Until then, I'm interested in ya'lls opinion. I leased a '15 explorer before, and loved it. This time around I bought my CPO explorer sport. Amazing car!!! But I know if this can't be fixed, it'll drive me too crazy and I'll wind up trading it in even though I just bought it in August :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably did some metal work near the gasket area and it no longer lines up tightly to the gasket. I'd see if they can put some kind of marker on the gasket and shut the door to look for any areas not touching.

Could also be something with the window alignment or gasket. There is a little wiggle room in all the bolt holes. Did they replace the weather seal under the door panel (plastic glued on deal)?

Probably did some metal work near the gasket area and it no longer lines up tightly to the gasket. I'd see if they can put some kind of marker on the gasket and shut the door to look for any areas not touching.

Could also be something with the window alignment or gasket. There is a little wiggle room in all the bolt holes. Did they replace the weather seal under the door panel (plastic glued on deal)?
Sorry for my elementary knowledge. Do you mean the vertical gasket around the windows?

I’m going to take a few pics and post it so you all have reference.

thanks a million.

No where the door shuts and seals to the body of the cabin. Basically the seal that keeps rainwater out the interior.

No where the door shuts and seals to the body of the cabin. Basically the seal that keeps rainwater out the interior.
Oh I see. When I first picked it up it was raining and water was coming in so I brought it back and they tightened it. No more water coming in. I’m still going to inspect that again based on your reply

Hmm. This may be our culprit

8E50B586-4E6A-417B-92AA-9C82D0A687CE.jpeg

17EEC3F6-2ABC-4D51-B0FD-7DC91C418E77.jpeg

70674821-C75A-46F0-9B59-73CA461AF98D.jpeg

Had a similar issue with a mountaineer I bought a while back. I assume the belt buckle got caught in the door as the gasket seal area had a line dent/indentation across it just letting air in. Ended up removing the inside panel and letting a paintless dent removal service get it close enough to seal again. Took a month of it blowing in my ear to find it.

Ewew that gap looks horrible. I'd send those same pics to your insurance.

To be honest your better off getting a used door shell and have it painted and relabled in this case.

Ewew that gap looks horrible. I'd send those same pics to your insurance.

To be honest your better off getting a used door shell and have it painted and relabled in this case.
Nope I’m getting them to replace this. Ridiculous

edit: fix -> replace

Once you "fix at" damage with new skins and all you only get 1 good try. Going back in and redoing the job to get it perfectly straight will be near impossible. Plus however it gets done would have me questioning it's long term quality. I'd ask for another door (used parts are great in this situation as they will fit like the original).

Once you "fix at" damage with new skins and all you only get 1 good try. Going back in and redoing the job to get it perfectly straight will be near impossible. Plus however it gets done would have me questioning it's long term quality. I'd ask for another door (used parts are great in this situation as they will fit like the original).
The rubber stripping looks like it hugs the vehicle frame, despite that gap. I’m guess it doesn’t matter, right?

That gap is not acceptable for me. It looks like they could push that entire top of the window frame up in the center and get it to match the body. It might get the window to seal better as well. What's the gap look like on the rear bottom edge of the door because to me the door looks like it was installed on a bent hinge or hinge plate. Take a pic of the rear bottom edge and the entire door with the door closed.

Even OEM parts are not what they used to be anymore. When I had my tailgate replaced in my Silverado due to a collision, the body shop ordered four of them so they could pick the best one and send the rest back. The one they picked had both bottom corners bent in, but it was the only one that was straight. This was at a Chevrolet dealership.

The rubber stripping looks like it hugs the vehicle frame, despite that gap. I’m guess it doesn’t matter, right?

You can always hear vehicles and loud trucks go by even with the windows closed. I'd imagine a .25" extra gap in the door frame 2ft from your head can't help. In fixing this with another door all bases will be covered (window / door alignment).

Your door also seems really close to the A-pillar

Thanks everyone. You were all tremendously helpful today!

I just had my '17 Explorer Sport come out of the body shop. Someone lightly sideswiped it, but just enough to make me want to get it fixed. As part of the repair, the body shop replaced the driver door outer shell, but in general did some work on both driver door and left passenger door.

Fast forward to today. I've been back to the body shop 3x asking for adjustments because when I drive, even at lower speeds (20-30) it sounds like the window or door is not fully closed. The body shop thinks I'm insane, but I know something isn't right. Then when I drive on the highway I get a very slight reverberation in my ear (almost like the back window is cracked) and it drives me crazy.

I've done all I could to try to isolate the problem, including taping up the B and A pillars. When I put my ear close to the base of the inner window sill, the road noise is most pronounced, leading me to believe that perhaps the window wasn't installed correctly.

My thoughts on the cause:
1. When the window is rolled up, there is a slight gap but you really have to look closely. I'm thinking the window needs to be more flush to the weather stripping.
2. The outside of the B pillar where the number keypad is looks to be just a little off, compared to the passenger side of the vehicle.

I've put a call into Geico because I think I've done enough to try to rectify with the body shop. Until then, I'm interested in ya'lls opinion. I leased a '15 explorer before, and loved it. This time around I bought my CPO explorer sport. Amazing car!!! But I know if this can't be fixed, it'll drive me too crazy and I'll wind up trading it in even though I just bought it in August :(
There are too many issues like this with Explorers. They all have their little quirks because of variations in the mfg process or lack of quality control. It drives me crazy. I do like my Exp Sport too but I’m not sure I would buy another one because of this. You can rent a good one and then buy one that consumes your life trying to fix an issue that just shouldn’t exist and no mechanic can figure out! You have my sympathy, although I know that’s not worth much. Good luck to you.

There are too many issues like this with Explorers. They all have their little quirks because of variations in the mfg process or lack of quality control. It drives me crazy. I do like my Exp Sport too but I’m not sure I would buy another one because of this. You can rent a good one and then buy one that consumes your life trying to fix an issue that just shouldn’t exist and no mechanic can figure out! You have my sympathy, although I know that’s not worth much. Good luck to you.
I'm confused by your post. You seem to be saying that Explorers have too many problems, which is true. However, this is a body shop issue that has nothing to do with vehicle model or manufacture.

I'm confused by your post. You seem to be saying that Explorers have too many problems, which is true. However, this is a body shop issue that has nothing to do with vehicle model or manufacture.
Just rambling nonsense as usual. My point was that I can relate as I nearly totalled my sport a number of years ago and then thing has never been quite right. I want to love the thing, but it's driving me crazy. Have a good one!

Back