• Register Today It's free!

17 inch wheels, what size tires?

hpierce301

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
I was looking in the tires forum on this site, but I don't feel like I want the tires to be that big. that thread seems to deal with off roading sizes.

I want to first thank Black Magic for inspiring me to get an explorer. I saw his site and decided I wanted to get something along the same lines. I got a black 4-dr 4x4 (1996) and am very happy with it. I think it snowed the weekend after I got it. And going from the Trans Am to the explorer was a VERY good move for us.

back to the subject. I'm researching some black bullitt wheels and want some tires for them. So what sizes would you guys recommend? So far, 265/70/17 seems to be a popular size because I can get them fairly cheap. Are these too big?

Black Magic, I'll want to know how you did the trim on your sport. Esp. because I want to keep the rear bumper so I think if it was painted, it'd scratch easy. But that will be another thread.

Thanks everyone. from the noobie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a 265/70/17 is a really big tire. its almost 32" tall. if you want stock height, go with either 255/60/17 or 275/55/17.

I would recommend 255/60/17. I've been running that size for 2 years and I'm very pleased.

As for painting your trim. I painted mine about 2 years ago and I havnt scratches it yet. The only place the paint has chipped off is on the end of the running board from all the road debris, but its not noticable unless you really look for it.

nice ride x24! do you stand on your back bumper for anything? that's the part I was worried about getting scratches.

I have some 265/60/17 yokahama avs st unidirectional tires they measure 29.6" x 10.7" they are on 17x8 wheels on a stock suspension 96 xlt. in my opinion they look just right for a non-street non-offroad explorer...I am thinking of selling them this spring if you are interested....they only have about 6k on them i can get you pics if you are interested (I am doing a mild lift and getting bigger tires) they dont rub or anything either.

Originally posted by hpierce301
nice ride x24! do you stand on your back bumper for anything? that's the part I was worried about getting scratches.
Nope, I dont stand on the back bumper for anything.
Why dont you just get a stool or lower it enough so you dont need to stand on anything

I have a question?
If it is non-street and non-offroadWHAT IS IT?

Originally posted by flipped 98x
I have a question?
Stock

275/55/17 for streetmode. Nice fat footprint all around, and with some nice rims looks damn good. That is what I had on my explorer, and it was lowered and had no rubbing issues.

Originally posted by flipped 98x
I have a question?

? (what are you refering to? I want an street explorer that has 4x4 capabilities, not a huge 4x4 that happens to be street legal)

X24, did you need to use any spacers for the mustang wheels? A friend had a ranger that he tried to put Cobra wheels like your on it, but they sat waaayy in on it. I didn't look right and he took them back off.

hp

Nope. I tried using a 5/16" spacer but after nearly making my wheel fall off I decided to grind a bit off of my lower control arm to get rid of the rub. I can turn the wheel all the way and I only get a very slight tire rub on my swaybar, no more rim rub.

I run 275/60R17 Firestone Indy 500 Firehawks and they rub on the swaybar when turned full lock but I have no problems with traction wet or dry. I think I'll go with a smaller size next time like 255 or 265/60R17 but in the same make and model if available.

Back