17" OEM Wheels Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17" OEM Wheels Questions

xAnarChisTx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Explorer Limited 4WD
I was able to snag a set of 17" steel OEM rims and TPMS sensors for a good price the other day and will be primarily use them as my winter wheels, but I had a couple of questions about them. For the TPMS sensors, will I need to purchase the FORDTRIGGER TPMS tool to register these sensors to my vehicle, or should it automatically register once I start driving with them? I'm seeing conflicting information on the forums about this, so I just wanted to make sure.

Also, when it comes to lug covers and center caps, are there any center caps that wold work with these rims, or is it best to just go with the lug covers that are used on the Interceptor Explorers and Crown Vics?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can confirm that on my 2013 they registered themselves after driving for about 10 minutes. As for the lug covers/hub cover I didn't bother with mine and just packed a lot of grease to try to limit the amount of rusting on the lugs and the hub.

I wondered same thing..just got a set of rims from a Lincoln mkx for 100 bucks with sensors to use for winter...will have to see of they read themselves...I'm hoping.

I was able to snag a set of 17" steel OEM rims and TPMS sensors for a good price the other day and will be primarily use them as my winter wheels, but I had a couple of questions about them. For the TPMS sensors, will I need to purchase the FORDTRIGGER TPMS tool to register these sensors to my vehicle, or should it automatically register once I start driving with them? I'm seeing conflicting information on the forums about this, so I just wanted to make sure.

Also, when it comes to lug covers and center caps, are there any center caps that wold work with these rims, or is it best to just go with the lug covers that are used on the Interceptor Explorers and Crown Vics?
I went with the full wheel cover; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3052465&postcount=52
Here is why you will need new lugs to hold the covers on; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3407691&postcount=401

Peter

I wondered same thing..just got a set of rims from a Lincoln mkx for 100 bucks with sensors to use for winter...will have to see of they read themselves...I'm hoping.
Just make sure they have the same frequency which I believe is 315 MHz.

Peter

Just make sure they have the same frequency which I believe is 315 MHz.

Peter

Yeah looks like the Explorer and the mks were both on 315mhz so should be good..thanks

Here is why you will need new lugs to hold the covers on; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3407691&postcount=401

Peter
I just installed 17" wheels on my wife's Explorer using the same lugs that came with the 20" wheels and worked with no problems. Is it just me, or does it seem unnecessary to buy an entire set of 20 flange-type lug nuts just to secure the wheel cover if I still have the lugs from my 20" wheels? Wouldn't just replacing one or two lugnuts that came with my 20" wheels with flange-type lugnuts on each wheel technically be enough? At $10.42 a piece, that would be quite a savings. Dealer was no help when I asked them.

I just installed 17" wheels on my wife's Explorer using the same lugs that came with the 20" wheels and worked with no problems. Is it just me, or does it seem unnecessary to buy an entire set of 20 flange-type lug nuts just to secure the wheel cover if I still have the lugs from my 20" wheels? Wouldn't just replacing one or two lugnuts that came with my 20" wheels with flange-type lugnuts on each wheel technically be enough? At $10.42 a piece, that would be quite a savings. Dealer was no help when I asked them.
So you were able to install 17" wheels on a 2015 Explorer. Good to know since there have been several questions regarding this.

Peter

So you were able to install 17" wheels on a 2015 Explorer. Good to know since there have been several questions regarding this.

Peter

I wasn't aware there were questions around fitment with Limiteds. I only ran across issues with Sport models as they had bigger brakes.

In any case, yes, no problems other than securing the wheel covers.

I wasn't aware there were questions around fitment with Limiteds. I only ran across issues with Sport models as they had bigger brakes.

In any case, yes, no problems other than securing the wheel covers.
The brakes are the same size on ALL models. They were upgraded midway through the 2013 model year. There is a member who put 17" on her 2014 Sport.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3158700&postcount=20
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3445312&postcount=6

Peter

Yep, those were the threads I read.

Anyone have thoughts on my original question about not having to replace all lugs?
Since they are the only things holding the cover in place, I don't know if going with less that the required number would work. It might but I'm sure the centrifugal force would be quite high.

Peter

Back