$1700 for a 210k rustbucket

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At this age 0 warranty by state rules. SOHC engine. Not even loaded.
https://www.carwashcarsinc.com/inventory/details/43500422

Is there a question here? I wouldn't take that truck for free, let alone pay $1700 for it. It appears to be at a used car dealership so that is adding probably $500 to the asking price. If the engine isn't rattling someone might give $1200 for it, but as PT Barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute".

Is there a question here?
I wouldn't take that truck for free, let alone pay $1700 for it. It appears to be at a used car dealership so that is adding probably $500 to the asking price. If the engine isn't rattling someone might give $1200 for it, but as PT Barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute".

Well, like the description says, better than walking! Maybe not!

Should say “ Better like walking”.

Man that makes my rusty parts truck look good, like REALLY good, and it's practically swiss cheese underneath, I wouldn't hardly cross the yard in it. That SOHC truck though, I'll give him a nice wholesome $200.

They will find a buyer that will put $500 down and finance the rest for $125 month for 72 months!

14 city/18 highway :laugh::laugh::laugh: not with 210K on it.

Rule of thumb, whatever the down payment agreement ends up being, that's what they give. I recently came across a guy hauling off 13 heaps from a car lot and when I asked why they junked such seemingly nice cars, his reply was "These are the repos, we got our costs out at least once before they died, some of these were sold 5 or 6 times, and we got our costs each time as a down payment, we just repo them and sell them over and over again and when they're junk we scrap them, nothing to it, we even do our own repos"

Rule of thumb, whatever the down payment agreement ends up being, that's what they give. I recently came across a guy hauling off 13 heaps from a car lot and when I asked why they junked such seemingly nice cars, his reply was "These are the repos, we got our costs out at least once before they died, some of these were sold 5 or 6 times, and we got our costs each time as a down payment, we just repo them and sell them over and over again and when they're junk we scrap them, nothing to it, we even do our own repos"
Hard to lose money on them. After they sell them, you are still liable for the difference. Seems odd, though. You’d think the people who get repo’d would be the kind who doesn’t have any money down.

Yikes!

You can tell that thing was PIMP back in the day. But poor thing...

Hard to lose money on them. After they sell them, you are still liable for the difference. Seems odd, though. You’d think the people who get repo’d would be the kind who doesn’t have any money down.

Well I've always figured people made the down payment on vehicles like this, and then it'll die and instead of taking it to a shop, or fixing it, they park it and begin saving up more down payment money. Scrap yards here are full of cars with the paper tags still on the back...trashy economics really. Anyhow, here but I know someone who drove a ball of junk of junk S10 go to one of these places, and leave in a Lincoln Town Car, beautiful car too. Granted said car was also a lemon, windows quit a week in and it had a CEL come on for half a dozen expensive problems I was told. Never knew what became of it, the guy is back in the old ball of junk S10 he started with though.

As we know, an asking price is only that. If the engine isn't making much noise yet, it might be worth $1000 considering there's still some tread on the tires. Drive it for a year and sell to a junkyard for $200 plus tow when it breaks down. In other words it's not a long term plan but the cost/month till junked could be reasonable.

Wait. 2000 was the last year for the OHV 4.0L and I didn't see SOHC on their page. Did XLT's in 2000 come with the OHV as an option with 4WD?

Rocker panel rust, meh I don't personally care much about that on a sub-$2k vehicle that has a frame. On a unibody vehicle that's downright dangerous because it's probably eaten into strut towers/mounts too.

Sadly the Explorer's in my area are like this. So hard to find one that wasn't beaten to death. Not much rust here but they are terribly worn & yet people still want $$ for them. I looked at a 2000 limited V8 with 93K miles.(before my 02) The seller couldn't even sell it working right(engine miss, ex leak, bad tires air shock done) & still wanted $2500.
And yeah 2 weeks later it was gone someone bought it.

As we know, an asking price is only that. If the engine isn't making much noise yet, it might be worth $1000 considering there's still some tread on the tires. Drive it for a year and sell to a junkyard for $200 plus tow when it breaks down. In other words it's not a long term plan but the cost/month till junked could be reasonable.

Wait. 2000 was the last year for the OHV 4.0L and I didn't see SOHC on their page. Did XLT's in 2000 come with the OHV as an option with 4WD?

Rocker panel rust, meh I don't personally care much about that on a sub-$2k vehicle that has a frame. On a unibody vehicle that's downright dangerous because it's probably eaten into strut towers/mounts too.

I sold a rust free 01 XLT a year ago for $1K, paint was faded (dark green is a nice color but man it sucks when it's old) and it had seat covers, just like this. Main difference between the two was mine was a 2WD. I'd have gone to California in mine, and the guy has driven it a year without any major repairs, I saw it yesterday driving around. I wouldn't give much more, if any more, than $500 for a truck that rusty. Just my 2 cents, and I'm in an area where cheap vehicles are worth a beautiful penny.

I found a '99 XLT w/73k on the local Ford lot Thursday for $5800. The first words out of the sales guy's mouth was "we have someone driving 200 miles tomorrow to test drive it", so I told him there was no need for me to look at it and left.... It's been taken off their website......

I look at it this way...
Anything that runs and drives, is safe, doesn't need any immediate serious repairs and has 4 halfway decent tires on it is worth $1200. If you get a year out of it it owes you nothing.

When I sold my rust-free, well optioned 2000 XLT 5.0L, 2WD w/217K + on it on CL a couple of years ago people were beating down my door at the full asking price of $1700, as it needed a few hundred dollars worth of DIY'er repairs. I guess I could have gotten more for it, but I that's what I felt it was worth. I have to laugh when I see similar 2-door V6 vehicles advertised on CL today for $2900 or more, but some fool will buy them for $2600 and think they got a good deal.

I don't understand why people don't look at prices for similar vehicles and think to themselves that the price is way out of line and probably twice what the vehicle is worth, but you see these people on The Peoples Court all the time. A fool and their money are quickly parted.

I suppose as the price of new vehicles continues to climb to new astronomic levels it drags the old-junk prices along with them.

Its pretty sad when the first lines are; "beats walking!"

But honestly, that's how 95% of Explorers are around here anyways, if anything, that's on the better end, and that price is not unheard of. A bit steep, but not obnoxious. I do agree with what's already been said, that that truck is still probably worth a good $1000-$1200 if all the basics work and it gets someone from A to B for awhile. Sure the mileage is rough, but generally speaking, Explorers have shown to be tanks so definitely not surprising if it still runs well. And the rust is only scary to those outside the rust belt. Vehicles around here are used in much worse shape for much longer and still end up fine. The dealer will probably take the first reasonable offer anyways.

Around here where the roads are salted at the slightest hint of snow, it's pretty much assumed anything over a dozen years old is going to have rust, and for anything that runs without major mechanical issues, it would have to have both rust and a large area of severely degraded paint to drop below $1K, or be a domestic car.

Paying a body shop to replace my rocker panels and dog legs around 8 years ago is the only major expense I've had on my '98. Fortunately that is the only body rust I've had so far, and I don't do bodywork, at least not that extensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am so happy I live in nc
No rust I am so lucky

Back