175,000 Miles What to check?

twink90

Reaction score
City, State
Louisburg, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4
Hello out there....

We are approaching 175,000 miles and was wondering what should we check/replace? I am only concerned because today we are going to attempt putting our boat in the lake down the road. Fortuanatly we have 4 lakes within 20 miles of us so no long distance trips. Our boat is a 19ft Bayliner I/O and its our first attempt with it in the water. (Lets hope it floats!)

I know basic maitinance routines, but didn't know with this many miles if there were any major items we should start looking at or repair prior to things going wrong. Both our vehicles are closing in on the 200,000 mile marker, and it makes me nervous.

I did notice yesterday when turning to the Left I hear a pop from L front end, but not when I turn to the right?

Thanks and sorry its so non-specific, just looking for pointers for an aging vehicle. Off to put in the bilge pump, it was our last step before seeing if the boat even floats! Owned it a month now, and this day has taken forever to get here!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checking the radius arm bushings would be a good start.

Followed by the rest of the front suspension after that.

If it's an auto, check the color of the fluid and make sure its a nice red color. The auto tranny is the weak link on these things.

Just keep up good routine maintenance: plugs, wires, oil, air filter, etc.

How long has it been since you changed the: tranny fluid, transfer case fluid, diff fluids, or flushed the coolant, or brake fluid? May want to start doing those if it's been forever.
Also, if it's been more then a few years on the fuel filter I'd change that too.

looks like you have 4wd, i'd make sure that works before hauling a boat. isn't it better to launch the boat while in 4wd? i think my dad said when you get to the docks, and line up with the ramp, stop and put it in 4wd, then back teh boat into the water. he always did it and it worked fine

Had to put off boat trip again, wondering if its ever going to reach the water.

Anyway, our Explorer is a 5 spd manual which makes me nervous. I always pulled with an automatic, but we must use what we have. We have changed oil/filter/plugs/wires/fuel filter/ egr sensor & valve/ brake pads/ & cleand MAF.

I have heard of putting it in 4x4 before, but was not positive. Now that its been stated again, I think we won't chance it in 2wd the first time.

As for fluids, I don't believe we have changed any of them in the 2yrs we have owned it. Well, other then oil. Are these all simple procedures? Or should I say, something a weekend mechanic can accomplish? Manual tranny might be the only one I am really not sure about.

Thanks again for all the options. I will make a new list of things to do in spare time. I assume both vehicles need this done. We did just have the clutch replaced in our 01Kia, would they have changed tranny fluid when that was done? I assume I can use the old turkey baster method on brake fluid.

Assuming that you have not done a tune-up (other wise you wouldn't be asking this) I would recommend that you inspect/replace the following:

Spark Plugs/Wires
Air/Fuel Filters
Oil (engine/trans)
O2 Sensors
Old/Brittle Vacuum Hoses
Check coolant levels/condition
Clean battery terminals if needed

Clean the MAF sensor
Pour a can of Fuel Injector Cleaner in your tank & check tire air pressure.

Checking and maintaining the above mentioned items will keep your vehicle running strong, smooth while maintaining good fuel efficiency.

Back