18 Explorer sport loud idling and pcv valve issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18 Explorer sport loud idling and pcv valve issue

Reaction score
City, State
porter corners
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer Sport
Good morning,

Im posting here because the 18 sport ecoboost is essentially the same "enough". My 18 explorer keeps having issues with white smoking again. Dealer last time found wastegate valve clip missing on one turbo but was a $400 fix. (long story). Seemed to go away but is back again now although not as bad. Read of the PCV TSB which effected the 17's, and the 18 ecoboost in the F150 and Expedition. Went to dealer to get a new pcv valve as im at 52K. Put new one in and engine started screaming and whining after 15 minutes. Pulled over, had lots of trouble getting valve back out, removed oil cap after a ton of suction finally released. THen put old pcv valve back in and went away. Confirmed the part number with the dealer, said its a new one issued by ford but also said its not related to noise engine started making and would only suggest a three hour appointment to check things and research it at 170$ hr. So anyone have anything on this type of thing. Im kinda tired of spending money for research and to check things at a dealer that was a waste of money. Also on top of that my engine has a super loud idle for 40 seconds that lasts for 30 seconds. Sounds like its getting ready to take off and fly away.

not losing coolant, right? just checking. :D other than that, not sure. that pcv valve sounds faulty to me, but not sure

So new PCV valve from the dealer caused the motor to start screaming and making a ton of noise. Pulled it back off after fighting with it and the oil cap which was hard to get off and when i did it had a ton of back pressure on it...... No clue any more. Still smokes after idling. Dealer only says they can spend a few hours to diagnose it but will cost a few hundred just to look at it. They say the TSB for the older EcoBoost doesnt apply but oddly the new pcv valve number for the motor is the same part issued through the TSB....

Back