• Register Today It's free!

18 mustang wheels on 17 explorer

lostangel96

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 explorer xlt
Found a great set of wheels from 18-20 mustang. Will they fit my exp without mods? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found a great set of wheels from 18-20 mustang. Will they fit my exp without mods? Thanks

Here ya go, via www.wheel-size.com:
2017X.jpg

2018M.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :salute:
What size are the Mustang wheels? If they are 17" they probably wouldn't fit. I believe that 18" are the smallest you can use on a 2017.
Are your OEM wheels 18" or 20"?
In any case, the center bor (hub) is a different size so you would likely have to use hubcentric rings/spacers.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :salute:
What size are the Mustang wheels? If they are 17" they probably wouldn't fit. I believe that 18" are the smallest you can use on a 2017.
Are your OEM wheels 18" or 20"?
In any case, the center bor (hub) is a different size so you would likely have to use hubcentric rings/spacers.

Peter

Not 100% accurate. Technically, you COULD use any size wheel you wanted, as long as the overall tire diameter was maintained as much as possible. Meaning he would have to change the tires themselves to a different size. Also via www.wheel-size.com:

Link to 255/50-20 vs 225/75-17 Specifications

But will it clear the brakes? That is the ultimate question as that is where I believe you are right with 18"s being the smallest.

TiresX.jpg

Looking at the link, it will give you some percentages of differences if you decide to "plus" size (or in this case, it would be "minus") your wheels. Going with a 225/75-17 tire would get him to with 0.8% of the original tire diameter. That is unnoticeable in the speedo reading.

Now, the other side of the argument is: WOULD I do this...no, not at all...First off, it is likely the brakes won't fit within the wheel. And if they did fit, the ride would be much smoother as there is much more "meat", but it wouldn't handle as nicely and may not even grip as well, as there is less contact patch on the ground. The offset is a bit different, but it's not far enough off to be very ciritcal, it wll just look like the wheels are "sucked in" to wheel well. Of course, wheel spacers would solve this. But now you are just going down a rabbit hole of modifications just to make some 2017 Mustang wheels fit...

Now, if you have a tuner/loader device, such as the SCT (others may have it as well), you can change the ratio so that you could go ANY tire/wheel (diameter, not widths) size, dependent on brake caliper and wheel well clearance, and fix the speedo. Anyway, it can get pretty complicated and you just have to see who has installed what to see what, if any, issues they have encountered.

The 17" wheel would not fit due to Ford having increased the size of the brakes a few years ago. I used 17" wheels on my 2011 but had to go 18" on my 2014 MKT and 2017 Platinum. Tire sizes were adjusted to try and maintain OEM diameter.

Peter

Back