• Register Today It's free!

-18 offset with 265/70/17 ok?

SirKng

Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I don't think anyone has asked about -18 offset so here goes....

I'm looking at some wheels that are 17x9 with a -18 offset. I want to run these wheels on a 265/70/17 with an overall diameter with 31.9" and a 3 in lift. Would this set up be ok or should I get wheels with less offset? Like -12 or 0? I'd prefer -12 or -18 because I want them to stick out a little bit. I also have rear A/C. I've heard that the lines to the rear will limit what I can run so keep that in mind.

I don't think anyone has asked about -18 offset so here goes....

I'm looking at some wheels that are 17x9 with a -18 offset. I want to run these wheels on a 265/70/17 with an overall diameter with 31.9" and a 3 in lift. Would this set up be ok or should I get wheels with less offset? Like -12 or 0? I'd prefer -12 or -18 because I want them to stick out a little bit. I also have rear A/C. I've heard that the lines to the rear will limit what I can run so keep that in mind.
Cant really help to much but maybe head over to custom offsets .com and check out the gallery should give you an idea what others are doing and it gives you all the specs of their setups etc

I have 265/75/16’s on -0 offset rims and it’s plenty of turning clearance. The tires stick out about 1-3/4” from stock I also have 5” of lift (2” spacer and 3” body).

The further out you push your wheels the larger the scrub radius, or arc of travel as the wheels turn. Too much offset will over stress wheel bearings, and may even introduce clearance issues approaching wheel lock, especially at stock height.

8C6C26B2-F9CE-4B20-901D-19E0D50B8DF8.jpeg

I have 265/75/16’s on -0 offset rims and it’s plenty of turning clearance. The tires stick out about 1-3/4” from stock I also have 5” of lift (2” spacer and 3” body).

The further out you push your wheels the larger the scrub radius, or arc of travel as the wheels turn. Too much offset will over stress wheel bearings, and may even introduce clearance issues approaching wheel lock, especially at stock height.

View attachment 330962
I know about and accept possible wheel bearing, clearance and handling issues (I daily a 5.5 inch lifted Ranger with 15x8's and -19 offset on 32’s).

When I posted this I couldn't find many people talking about offset. Most threads I found usually talk about tire size and width. But I've done more research since then and I've found that 0 offset seems most common but there are some that are running a -12 or so. I think I might just stick with a -12 wheel and accept any rubbing issues I might or might not have. -12 isn't that much more than 0 offset... Thanks for the reply though. It does help a bit.

Back