18" steel rims on ST with Street Pack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18" steel rims on ST with Street Pack

As you can see in the pictures, they do fit OK, look funny but fit.
There is about 1/4" clearance from the caliper to the inside of the rim.

Matt, I have bridgestone blizzak, they are the tires I had on my 2018 Sport, they are one size to small, but I have to use them
for this year recommended difference in size is 3% my old ones are 3.4%.

Did you manage to get good pricing on the rims and TMPS.

Brian

Brian,
What is the current size of your Blizzaks? I'm getting the same rims mounted this week and looking at the DM-V2's.
255/65R18

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian,
What is the current size of your Blizzaks? I'm getting the same rims mounted this week and looking at the DM-V2's.
255/65R18
If you have the 21" wheels, going to a 255/70R18 will be an exact match. i just had the DM-V2 tires installed. Haven't had a chance to try them in snow yet but they are very quiet on my vehicle.

Peter

Hey Brian, thanks for the picks! Yeah I agree looks a bit small... but think about how nice it will look this spring when the 21s go back on!! :)

yeah they matched East gate ford’s online price of 118 for the wheels and your price for the sensors (59), wherever you got that price! Ha! They were charging me 130 and 75 before I asked for a price match.

what size are your tires? I have 265/60/18s coming.

Matt

Matt

I have 245/60/18 they where new last season so i had to use them this year, will change to 265/60/18 next year.

This is what I had to hold the center caps on mine. I got a bit of a deal on them ($2.56) from the parts department as they were the last ones they had. Otherwise, they would have been quite expensive.
Wheel Nut - Ford (DG1Z-1012-A) | Eastgate Ford Parts CA

View attachment 175846

Peter

That is the exact wheel nut as I have, but like everything else to do with the wheels they do not fit.
I am looking for the same design of nut with a 14 x 1.5 thread, any help would be appreciated.

Brian,
255/65R18

I have 245/60/18 they are not the correct size, but close enough.
I should have 265/60/18 like Matt or as Peter suggests 255/70/18

Brian

As my luck would have it, the Blizzak DM-V2's are out of stock (well, only 2 are available) so I'll be going with Goodyear WinterCommand 255/70R18 113S BSW tires. Hopefully they are pretty decent. Price wasn't too bad at $209 per tire.

Update: Bad luck strikes again. Dealer called back and there are only 3 of the WinterCommands in stock. Most likely will not have a set of winter tires until late December. Grrr.

Dealer located a set of DM-V2 that are 265/65R18 but they are R rated instead of S. Shouldn't matter and I will most likely go with them. Speedo will only be out 1mph at 90 mph.

The base Explorer uses 255/65/18 so that's the size i went with. You have some good options, notably Michelin X-Ice2 and Blizzak DM-V2 if i recall.

The base Explorer uses 255/65/18 so that's the size i went with. You have some good options, notably Michelin X-Ice2 and Blizzak DM-V2 if i recall.

Unfortunately everyone around here is sold out of that size when it comes to the X-Ice2 and DM-V2. I am getting the 265/65R18 DM-V2 mounted this morning. As long as there is no rubbing that's what I will stick with. Tire calculators are all over the place when it comes to what should be close to the factory replacement when looking at 18's. 255/65R18 is ideal and is what I wanted but they are sold out locally and I don't want to go through the headache of ordering them online.

The 2 sites that I use both say that the 255/70R18 is as close as you can get to the 255/55R21 OEM tire size. Both show a nominal diameter difference of 0%.
The 265/65R18 show a difference of -1% and -1.5% The 255/65R18 would have been -3& and -3.1%

Peter

Every car I've owned, the speedometer is calibrated for base stock tire/wheel size...not optional tire/wheels. I'd be surprised if each individual Explorer is tailored to the specific wheel packages available. Anyone know for sure?

Every car I've owned, the speedometer is calibrated for base stock tire/wheel size...not optional tire/wheels. I'd be surprised if each individual Explorer is tailored to the specific wheel packages available. Anyone know for sure?
The later 5th gen apparently had acceptable sizes you could choose from a preprogrammed list contained a program within the vehicle software. jmr061 posted about that.
As long as the optional tire is the same nominal diameter size, I guessing that all the electrically controlled systems such as Speedometer, Traction Control and ABS shouldn't be affecetd.

Peter

The 2 sites that I use both say that the 255/70R18 is as close as you can get to the 255/55R21 OEM tire size. Both show a nominal diameter difference of 0%.
The 265/65R18 show a difference of -1% and -1.5% The 255/65R18 would have been -3& and -3.1%

Peter

Problem with that is, the tires on the explorer ST with the street pack are 275/45R21, not 255/55R21. Trying to match as close as I can to the 275/45 diameter. The sites I looked at show the 255/70R18 as being out by -4%

Problem with that is, the tires on the explorer ST with the street pack are 275/45R21, not 255/55R21. Trying to match as close as I can to the 275/45 diameter. The sites I looked at show the 255/70R18 as being out by -4%
My apology. I didn't realize the size was '45'.:(

Blizzak DM-V2 265/65R18 mounted on LB5Z-1015B. Picture perspective isn't the greatest but the tires fit just fine.

IMG_0359.jpeg

Winter rims are on! They are 265/60R18 Xice X2. I am more then pleased with the look. Lots of rubber and fills the wheel wells just fine. As you can see when I roll up the stock 21s there is a noticeable difference. About a inch and a half smaller, which is almost exactly what the online tire size calculator says. Thanks to this forum for pointing me towards the PUI rims... my dealership sure didn’t help!!

592065AA-7425-4C59-B699-3B08829B22D1.jpeg
A71BAA7A-A751-4B7D-A5A1-9617587ECFC9.jpeg
1A6A8735-125E-404A-A85B-E1006D0515C0.jpeg

Is it wrong that I wouldn't mind rims like that all year round?

Did you pay the cheap Canadian price or the ridiculous US price for the wheels? What lugs? What sensors?

Did you pay the cheap Canadian price or the ridiculous US price for the wheels? What lugs? What sensors?

Not sure if your question was directed to me or not but.... Paid the cheap Canadian price for the rims (I am in Canada), TPMS 60 sensors and used the original lug nuts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if your question was directed to me or not but.... Paid the cheap Canadian price for the rims (I am in Canada), TPMS 60 sensors and used the original lug nuts.
It may have directed at me. But all the same answers! 118CND for the wheels, same sensor kit at 59CND each. Stock lugs. I wonder why the PIU rims are so expensive south of the border??

Back