• Register Today It's free!

18" wheels on a Sport?

missin44

Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
I just want to confirm that an 18" wheel off of a 2014 Explorer we'll fit my 2017 Sport.

These wheels are only going to be for a winter tire install.

I know the bolt pattern is the same I just want to make sure that there will not be any brake interference issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the piu uses a 18x8 from the factory

I have been using 18" wheels with dedicated Winter tires in place of my OEM 20" wheels. No issues with the exception that the speedo is off slightly. If you get a 235/65R18 tire, it will be an exact match for the 255/50R20. You will not be able to use the TPMS sensors that are on the 2014 wheels since they don't show individual tire pressures and you will get a warning message/light. I went through that scenario when I tried to use the Winter wheels from my 2014 MKT on my Platinum.

Peter

I run 18s for the Winter on my Limited that came rolling on 20s. Should be fine. Many have done this.

I have been using 18" wheels with dedicated Winter tires in place of my OEM 20" wheels. No issues with the exception that the speedo is off slightly. If you get a 235/65R18 tire, it will be an exact match for the 255/50R20. You will not be able to use the TPMS sensors that are on the 2014 wheels since they don't show individual tire pressures and you will get a warning message/light. I went through that scenario when I tried to use the Winter wheels from my 2014 MKT on my Platinum.

Peter

Peter/Others

I am going to run a 235/65. Just so I"m clear the TPMS that come with the 18" wheel will not work with the Sport unless its the type that reports individual tire pressure, which is dependent on year?. I was mistaken, it seems these wheels came of a '17 Ford Five Hundred (which I believe is just a Taurus) . So I'm only guessing the TPMS will work.

Thanks

I looked at this site AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories and the first 4 numbers were different from the Explorer but the rest is the same. The different ones likely only designate the vehicle, I think. It also says that the TPMS is not reusable once removed. The TPMS, in the 2016/17 must be able to report individual tire pressure and I guessing the 2018 is most likely the same if yu have that display.

Peter

+1, I'm also using 18" wheels and tires for winter.

I am considering buying a second set of wheels on which to mount winter tires and I have a couple of questions. I am in the Northeast where snow is common, but not constant.

First -- Buying 18x8 OEM wheels seems to make sense rather than staying with the 20x8.5 size that came with the truck. The offset on both the Sport 20" wheels and the 18" OEM wheels that come on the base model have a 44mm offset. I notice that the Police Interceptor wheels have a 39mm offset. Will they work? Is there a different hub set up on the government car? Brake clearance is ok?

Second -- Tire Rack and other tire sites list 245/60r18 size tires as being correct for Explorers with 18 inch wheels and that does appear to be standard on the base model, but using available online tire size calculators, a 235/65r18 seems like a more exact diameter match. Is there a measurable downside for using a 235?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Hubs are same on retail exp and PIU. The 5mm offset difference would just move the smaller rim 5mm outward - towards the fender of the vehicle. They will interchange just fine - the PIU offers an appearance package that replaces the steelies with the retail 18" aluminum wheels.

I'll let others chime in the size issues and all their rules, but I wouldn't worry much about the slight differences in size and would choose the tire I wanted based on price/quality/capability and not worry whether it was a 245 or 235 section width.

I am considering buying a second set of wheels on which to mount winter tires and I have a couple of questions. I am in the Northeast where snow is common, but not constant..................

..........................Second -- Tire Rack and other tire sites list 245/60r18 size tires as being correct for Explorers with 18 inch wheels and that does appear to be standard on the base model, but using available online tire size calculators, a 235/65r18 seems like a more exact diameter match. Is there a measurable downside for using a 235?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature
A 235/65R18 is an exact match for the 255/50/R20. 255/50-R20 vs 235/65-R18 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World
I'm currently running the 235/60R18 Blizzaks on the 18" steel Ford Interceptor wheels in place of the OEM 255/50R20. They are slightly over the maximum 3% diameter difference (-3.1%) but I had them on my previous MKT and couldn't see buying new ones given the limited tire wear on them. In snow, a 235 would be slightly better than a 245 since it is slightly narrower and thus would result in less resistance.
If you plan to install TPMS in the Winter wheels make sure that you get the correct ones designed for reading the 4 individual pressure readouts.

Peter

I'm currently running the 235/60R18 Blizzaks on the 18" steel Ford Interceptor wheels in place of the OEM 255/50R20. They are slightly over the maximum 3% diameter difference (-3.1%)
Do as I say, not as I do, huh? ;-) I kid, I kid. Seriously though, I hope nothing bad happens to you for violating the 3% rule.

In snow, a 235 would be slightly better than a 245 since it is slightly narrower and thus would result in less resistance.
As with anything, the correct answer is always "it depends".

Generally, narrower tires are better in snow and on ice because they are more stable and get better linear traction by penetrating the snow. This is not always true though; on hard-pack snow, wider tires with more sipes are better. In deep snow, wider tires might be able to float over the top, but that’s a very specific situation. Narrower wheel widths are normally better because it rounds the profile of the tire and helps both penetration and floatation.

Breaking Down Winter Tires - Tire Review Magazine

Here is Continentals website extolling the virtues of wider winter tires. Wide tires

Some manufacturers tend to fall into the camp of 10% decrease in width and 10% increase in sidewall for winter tires or use the smallest size tire the OEM recommends for your vehicle (if there are multiple tire options).

Please remember, opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one and they all tend to think their's smells good while everyone else's stinks...

what size replacement wheels can i use?

ive got a '16 sport with the 20" wheels and 255/50/20 tires. when the time is right, i'd like to replace the 255/50/20 tires with a 16", 17" or 18" tire that will allow me to have bigger sidewalls and more aggressive tire tread.

not really wanting to install a lift or anything. just want a lore aggressive tires.

so, my question, what size wheels can i go down to and not run into problems with the brake assemblies.

thanks in advance.

Bought them from the dealer a little over 5 years ago. Got them for $88 each then. I think I'll be having to sell them and the tires if I get a 2020 Platinum since the size on that has gone to a 255/55R20 from the current 255/50R20.

Peter

Bought them from the dealer a little over 5 years ago. Got them for $88 each then. I think I'll be having to sell them and the tires if I get a 2020 Platinum since the size on that has gone to a 255/55R20 from the current 255/50R20.

Peter
Does that look about right you think?

This is the one; Wheel, Steel - Ford (DG1Z-1015-A) | Eastgate Ford Parts CA

Peter

2017 Platinum.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back