• Register Today It's free!

18" wheels

jaymazurk

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT Ironman
Has anyone run a different size tire on the explorer 18" rims? currently the michelins(235 65r18)i am running are shot at 28k.. pretty sad if you ask me....I was looking to go maybe 245 60r18. might gain a little on the speedo but no big deal but I just want something that will last longer than 2 years.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the 18" Michelin's also and although they still have lots of life left in them, I'm not happy with the handling.

So I've done some research and it would appear that 255/60/18 would be an inch or so wider but the same heighth. Clearance shouldn't be an issue and no effect on the speedo.

Not a lot of choices out there for 18" tires. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I run 275/55-18's, with a little rubbage at full lock(no prob) on Michelin Latitude Tour''s(around 196 per, then I called Michelin and said if there was any promotions on, I would buy Michelin tires-they sent me a $60 freinds and family rebate). I like the set up, no speedo affect as the stock tires were 55's.

I run 275/55-18's, with a little rubbage at full lock(no prob) on Michelin Latitude Tour''s(around 196 per, then I called Michelin and said if there was any promotions on, I would buy Michelin tires-they sent me a $60 freinds and family rebate). I like the set up, no speedo affect as the stock tires were 55's.

Hmmm. I have 275/55/18 Michelins Cross Terrains and no rubbing at all

Thats wierd, maybe it has to do with the backspacing or rim width. Mine are 18x8 with +20mm. And its an 01 sport and you have an 06 EB. The rubbing is minimal but now I have to know, what's your setup?

They're the 18x7.5 stock chrome-clad rims

Well at least he(jaymazurk)now knows he can use 275's with no issues.

265/65/18 all is good. Spare even fits under the truck.

Well, I have an '03 which does not have OEM 18's. I just bought Centerline Champ XL's 18x8 ET12 + 265/60/18 Hankook ATs and have no issues :)

My Cross-Terrains were all done at 33k. I replaced them with the same size (235/65R18), but BFG Long Trail Tours. Much harder tire, much longer tread warranty (68k, I think?). I think they handle as well as the Michelins, and they were soooo much cheaper. BTW, I asked the dealership if they'd match the lowest price I could find elsewhere, and they did. They matched the price I would have paid at my local wholesale warehouse club.

I've been looking at new rims and tires too. I find it odd that some have 275/55/18 with rubbing when they are actually shorter than my stock 235/65/18.

If someone has 265/65/18 on theirs which appear to be 31.5" tall, I think I can get 285/50/20 on which are 31.2". I would like to add the Traxxx lift but don't have the money right now to do that. Need tires now as the CrossTerrains are gone at 24k miles.

The rubbing issues have to do with the width of the tires. The 275's I have are about 1.6" wider than yours and only occurs at full wheel lock(very minimal). If you decide on 285's you very well may have some rubbing at full lock as they are almost 2 inches wider than the 235's. Something to think about.

Does anyone know if you can fit LT275/65R/18s?

Here are my winter wheels/tires. Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 255/60/18 on 18x8.5 Mustang wheels.

IMG_4354.jpg

265/60/18

I've got 265/60/18 on my 2007 Limited 4x4. They are Nitto Highway Terrains. I got all 4 mounted, balanced and an alignment for $579.85. This was a several months ago and in Lincoln, NE.
No rubbing but there is about 1/4" between the tires and the upper ball joint..

18"s

Interesting you say that. I have been wondering if 265s would fit. But I also see you stayed at 60 so, that may be the difference.
I have been trying to figure out if a 265/70/18 would fit my ' 09 Mounty.
I can't seem to find anyone that has done it.

You see, I am coming down from the 255/50/20 it came with. That combo as sharp looking as it is, may not perform well here in the upper parts of the country with the several inches of snow we get.

So I want to sell that take-off combo and now I just purchased a set of Mercury 18"s and really, really wanted to fit as much rubber as possible like the 265/70/18.

Anyone has any input on that?
BTW that factory 20" with Pirellis STR is for sale as well if anyone is interested.

I've got 275/55/18 and no issues. A 265/70 will probably rub cause it's alittle over 32".

Here are my winter wheels/tires. Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 255/60/18 on 18x8.5 Mustang wheels.

IMG_4354.jpg

Are those S-197 wheels?

Are they a direct fit with no mods?

Thanks

Are those S-197 wheels?

Are they a direct fit with no mods?

Thanks
Yeah they are. The GT/CS wheels to be specific. It fits, but very very close on the inside. I'm going to run a 1.25" wheel adapter to be safe. Plus I've always thought the front wheel sticks in too much, even with my stock 20s. Looks weird.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back