18" wheels | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18" wheels

My Cross-Terrains were all done at 33k. I replaced them with the same size (235/65R18), but BFG Long Trail Tours. Much harder tire, much longer tread warranty (68k, I think?). I think they handle as well as the Michelins, and they were soooo much cheaper. BTW, I asked the dealership if they'd match the lowest price I could find elsewhere, and they did. They matched the price I would have paid at my local wholesale warehouse club.

If you do some checking, you will find that BFG is now owned by Michelin, so it appears you got Michelins anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgive me for bringing back an old thread, but I figure that this thread is fitting for this question. I have a set of 17"x8" S197 Mustang wheels that are currently sitting around gathering dust, and I am wondering if they would fit properly on my 2006 Explorer with a 245/65-17" tire? would I have adequate backspacing and would the offset be correct?Clearance issues?

Yes, they are a 25 offset. I was going to get a set from a guy, but I swung a much better deal on a set of boss wheels off an ranger. Offset needs to be between 25 and 44, CB is 75mm.
There is a feller that put on 0 offset wheels on his 11 sport trac in the forums, but I have a feeling he will be replacing a few sets of wheel bearings and his handling is probably out due to the change in angles on the suspension.

Yes, they are a 25 offset. I was going to get a set from a guy, but I swung a much better deal on a set of boss wheels off an ranger. Offset needs to be between 25 and 44, CB is 75mm.
There is a feller that put on 0 offset wheels on his 11 sport trac in the forums, but I have a feeling he will be replacing a few sets of wheel bearings and his handling is probably out due to the change in angles on the suspension.

Perfect. Now I am debating whether or not to bother putting in TPMS sensors on those rims, since I don't have the tool to program them.

I got my programmer from a local stealership. Ran me around 50 bucks after tax. It works with the orange electronics stem style sensors, much better than the band ones. They will run you 30 bucks each on amazon. If you get 06 or newer stang rims they should have the band sensors anyway.

I got my programmer from a local stealership. Ran me around 50 bucks after tax. It works with the orange electronics stem style sensors, much better than the band ones. They will run you 30 bucks each on amazon. If you get 06 or newer stang rims they should have the band sensors anyway.

I am just using a spare set of rims off my 05' mustang. I have a set of 4 band style sensor without the band though. I figured the band style programming tool was a couple hundred. I guess I am going to have to look into this a bit more.

Back