18-yr-old spark plug wire standoffs crumbled. Problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

18-yr-old spark plug wire standoffs crumbled. Problem?

Terkins

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ex XLS; 4x4; OHV-6
I just replaced the spark plugs and wires on my 137k 2000 XLS and the valve cover standoffs crumbled as I removed the old wires. Are the standoffs important to 1) insulate electrically the spark wires from the (metal) valve covers? Or, 2) are they mostly to prevent heat damage/degredation to the spark wires over time from excessive heat/cooling cycles? Or, 3) "Both"?

I can't find the standoffs for my 2000 so I thought I'd take a piece of heater hose, attach it to the metal bracket where the old standoffs were, cut parallel slits in the hose, and simply wedge the spark wires in the hose slits to keep them off the valve cover.

Any ideas/comments are appreciated.

Oh, BTW: The plugs that came with the dealer-sale had gaps worn to >> 0.080!!! One plug wire connector snapped off when I gripped it. No wonder it didn't have any zip-up-and-go! I can't wait for the on-board computer to reset to the new plugs (double platinum/Autolite). I gapped them to 0.052".
APP103_012406__ra_p.jpg

More for heat.

Heat protection and wire routing - you can get generic sets (in different colors too) from A-Zone or O-Really!

Or hit up your local Pick and Pull and grab a set or two

Spectre (and other aftermarket companies) makes plug various wire separators with and w/out metal stand-offs. Check out something like Summit's on-line catalog to see what might work for you, or as suggested go to the pull-apart, though salvage yard replacements may likely be a brittle as your originals.

Back