• Register Today It's free!

193k on original Oxygen Sensor

awhughes

Reaction score
City, State
Kernersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 exp, xlt sohc, 4x4
I have 193,000 miles on the original passenger upstream O2 sensor. I replaced the driver side 02 sensor at around 110,000 miles when it was scoped and shown to be slow to respond but no check engine light.

My question is, my milege is around 17 mpg in mixed driving, should I replace this and get the small gain if any in milage? I dont have a check engine ligth but was curious as to when others are replacing O2 sensors on their SOHC engines. I cant believe it has lasted this long.

How tight is the passenger 02 connector to access?

It depends on if your a "dont fix it unless its broke" kinda guy or "id rather take the risk of losnig the money for possible gain" kinda guy. That is a TON of miles to have on an original o2 sensor though.

go to www.youtube.com and search for automotive 02 sensor. There are some vids on how to test it to see if its reading properly.

I have a few vids you might wanna check out in my signature. Cleaning the IAC Throttle body, and intake, along with changing my rear differential fluid in my ranger made me go from 17mpg to almost 21 mpg.

Seafoam will help as well. Has to be some carbon build up with all those miles.

Well I am not one to replace parts w/o subjective evidence, (check engine light or scope values) however I will try sanity in a can, i.e. Seafoam. I would like to see if I have a piece of gargage or builup in an injector that Seafoam can irradicate.

The payback period for 1 O2 sensor @ $50/sensor and fuel $2.00/gallon is 4,500 miles. I drive this rig back and forth to work and graduate school only, logging only 8,000 miles/year. With that being said on a rig with 193,000...not an invested interest.

I want to hold onto this thing until 200,000 miles just to say I maintained a mechanical system for 11 years and reached this milestone.

I will update as to the effects of snake oil in the tank.

Sounds good, i would love to hear if it helps. thanks.

Back