194 LEDs to replace cluster bulbs. Which to use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

194 LEDs to replace cluster bulbs. Which to use?

I'm thinking of changing out my 194 bulbs in my speedo with LEDs and am not really sure which ones to use. I buy bulbs often from an eBay seller and he's great. I asked him about which bulbs would be "best" for the application, and (of course) he recommended the most expensive ones (and I teased him about that!). His "matrix" bulbs seem more suited for tailight/driving light applications but possibly overkill for the cluster. Here's his "inventory" of what's for sale.

http://stores.ebay.com/superlumination_194-168_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

I've seen others use 4-led bulbs with great success. They're also $3 less which means $18 for the whole setup. Even basic 6 LED (non-matrix) bulbs would save $2/bulb.

I tend to go for the "best" when I buy stuff, but also don't like to spend for the sake of spending.

What would you do, if in my shoes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMO, LED's are pretty focused so once you install it, you will see a pretty hot spot where the bulb is compared to spreading the light out with incandescent bulbs. What are you trying to do? Changing the color? If so, you need to do more than just changing the bulbs. The green film has to be scrapped off in order for you to change the color.

I've searched around the forums quite extensively on the subject of cluster bulb replacement. I'm not trying to change the colour of the gauges per se, but they will change if I put in a set of Superwhite LEDs. There is a pretty good thread where the guy took photos of his before and after cluster using "4-LED" bulbs. I know all about the gauge face overlays and how they work. I actually swapped out the standard black faced overlays from my '00 Sport, and replaced them with white faced overlays from an '02 Sport. The effect of using white LEDs with the green backed overlays gives a bit of an Indiglo effect. I'm sort of looking for that. I'm not sure the "focus effect" of LEDs is a bad thing because stock bulbs already illuminate such a small area anyhow. The matrix bulbs this guy sells supposedly has a 270 degree area of lighting, while the standard 6 LED model has 100 degrees.

Just trying to determine if the wider coverage of the more expensive bulb is really necessary.

so if i wanted my dash lights to get green all i would have to do is scrap out the blue film.

Isn't the 97 the one with Indiglo coloured guages?

Want an easier way? Just swap our your overlays with someone who has green coloured overlays. There are a lot of people trying to get the blue colour. ;)

celly said:
Isn't the 97 the one with Indiglo coloured guages?

Want an easier way? Just swap our your overlays with someone who has green coloured overlays. There are a lot of people trying to get the blue colour. ;)

I want BLUE guages...Is it just film? Where can I get replacement for the color BLUE? Green looks nasty especially with my white headlamps and blue neon blubs.

i just bought dual colored gauges... i could choose from either blue or green... sad thing is the ones i ordered i think are for the 2000 style explorers... the airbag immage is in a different direction, and the "check engine" icon is in the wrong spot...(same gauge as the battery gauge, opposed to being to the left of the rpm meter)

my bad... now i just noticed what you were talking about... the gel filters... ebay has some... but there are soo many shades of blue... then theres the percentage of transperency...

ebay has them, just do a search for "gel filters"

DO NOT replace your dash lights with LED's. It does not work like you think it will. I tried it and had to replace the bulbs back because LED's put out a straight line light while the standard 194's put out a spray type of lighting. If anything get super white bulbs to replace them with, but not LED's.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
DO NOT replace your dash lights with LED's. It does not work like you think it will. I tried it and had to replace the bulbs back because LED's put out a straight line light while the standard 194's put out a spray type of lighting. If anything get super white bulbs to replace them with, but not LED's.

I ALMOST switched out the standard bulbs with those "matrix" LED bulbs, with their 270 degree field of coverage. Too expensive, IMHO. I'm just sticking with standard 194 bulbs. It looks fine to me. Playing around with bulbs inside can get pretty ricey if not kept in check. ;)

celly said:
I ALMOST switched out the standard bulbs with those "matrix" LED bulbs, with their 270 degree field of coverage. Too expensive, IMHO. I'm just sticking with standard 194 bulbs. It looks fine to me. Playing around with bulbs inside can get pretty ricey if not kept in check. ;)

lol im going for the ricey look for my truck.... veilside exhaust ;)

Saleen_SR71 said:
lol im going for the ricey look for my truck.... veilside exhaust ;)

Sorry, they don't let SUVs like the Ex into the rice club. Trade it in on a Civic or a Neon and you're set.

IMHO, most owners of ricemobiles will look back on it in a few years and say:

"What was I thinking"?

hmmm "DUB" seems to give all the SUV's the ricey show look...

but enough blabber about what im going to do to my Ex

Back