1956 F100 Explorer Chassis Swap | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1956 F100 Explorer Chassis Swap

Your 59 thread was one I ran into before I began that helped inspire my build actually!!!

Wow, thanks man! Means a lot! As soon as i can get more space, that one will be getting back on track. just got too many other explorers to fix first lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's looking real good Buddy! And the Mustang looks great too, awesome job you are doing on these. :)

Curt

Got some cutting done last night with the help of my friend Bobby, who's been chomping at the bit to help me with this project. We installed the dash in place to see what kind of clearances we will be dealing with.

IMG_20131123_240351_703.jpg

We then cut the cowl top off.

IMG_20131123_240335_833.jpg

IMG_20131123_240325_286.jpg

IMG_20131123_240240_463.jpg

IMG_20131123_241219_076.jpg

IMG_20131123_240701_788.jpg

We got the 56 dash cut out, leaving 2-1/2 inches of material from the windshield to keep for possible use in the future.

IMG_20131123_240729_797.jpg

IMG_20131123_240715_746.jpg

IMG_20131123_240525_982.jpg

IMG_20131123_240452_333.jpg

IMG_20131123_240433_364.jpg

I was testing the red motor paint for spray width and other attributes on the cab, kinda wanted to see how this color would look on the cab in person.

IMG_20131121_235006_330.jpg

I drilled out all (probably 100) rivets holding the scrap metal on the floor covering up this nightmare. Good thing I'm planning on using the Explorer floorboard!!!

IMG_20131123_240540_386.jpg

These side pieces from the dash will be reused to cover the sides of the firewall that get welded with the two trucks. Definitely will see some modification/trimming.

IMG_20131123_240603_861.jpg

IMG_20131123_240621_418.jpg

IMG_20131123_241119_201.jpg

IMG_20131123_241123_353.jpg

After much thought, deliberation, and suggestion, my next BIG step with the cab is to have it blasted. I will finish stripping any parts that I'm not using minus floor board or anything that would take away from the structural strength of the cab. I'd hate to ruin the cab by trying to transport it after it has been cut up and lose its squareness or bend anything.

I will be making some calls locally to get quotes on the blasting and base coat of primer. Once that is done, I will make the necessary cuts and go from there. Now I just need to find out how much that will be and how I can get the money for it as soon as possible.

Too cold once again to do much of ANYTHING outside this weekend. Even with two heaters, I froze my butt off on Friday with the short amount of time I was out there.

Last night, Bobby got the front vent removed and trimmed down. Pics coming soon. While he was doing that, I started marking the floorboard and firewall area to indicate where I will be cutting and do not need it to be blasted. No sense in wasting time and money in the areas that will be scrapped.

These are my preliminary marks, when my brain thaws out, I will double check to make sure. These are merely for easy viewing when blasted. The actual cut marks will be done after being primed.

IMG_20131124_175548_478.jpg

IMG_20131124_175602_825.jpg

IMG_20131124_175502_805.jpg

IMG_20131124_175526_266.jpg

IMG_20131124_175440_993.jpg

IMG_20131124_175331_498.jpg

I am taking several things into consideration with the cab mounting to make sure things line up well, this is the scary part. One inch now, will make EVERYTHING one inch (or more) off. I've measured the same areas over and over. This is not just a "measure twice, cut once kind of thing. This is going to be mcu more.

Going back to previous pics, I ran into this one from the 53 F100. I will attempt to avoid this gap. (above the dash)

01111_9ABHA9bpFNC_600x450.jpg

It may take a lot of extra time, but I know that it CAN line up just as well as this 56 does.

0904cct_02_z%252B1956_ford_f350_truck%252Btruck_in_progress.jpg

PHOTO_16970541_62688_41142873_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16970523_62688_41142873_ap.jpg

Man that thing will be pretty sweet when finished , I thought of this with my 53 F-100 , but I like the old dash , so Maybe just the frame and suspension from a 1st Gen 4x2 . staying tuned for this build !

Man that thing will be pretty sweet when finished , I thought of this with my 53 F-100 , but I like the old dash , so Maybe just the frame and suspension from a 1st Gen 4x2 . staying tuned for this build !

I'd love to use the old dash, but with all the electronics I'm using, safety features the newer dash has, dash vents and more, it's just not functional for what I need. I didn't think twice when I started cutting. Let me know when you start doing your project, I would love to watch the progress!!!

The old dash with the components I have for it will make a real nice wall hanging in my shop and a tribute to the classic and beautiful design.

Here's another Explorer/truck conversion I just found..... surprised it was a Chevy!

http://rides.classictrucks.com/ride/1157656/avocet44/1953/chevrolet/c10-pickup/photos/1.html

1953-chevrolet-c10-pickup-1996-explorer-green.jpg

1953-chevrolet-c10-pickup-explorer-interior.jpg

I'd love to use the old dash, but with all the electronics I'm using, safety features the newer dash has, dash vents and more, it's just not functional for what I need. I didn't think twice when I started cutting. Let me know when you start doing your project, I would love to watch the progress!!!

The old dash with the components I have for it will make a real nice wall hanging in my shop and a tribute to the classic and beautiful design.

Here's another Explorer/truck conversion I just found..... surprised it was a Chevy!

http://rides.classictrucks.com/ride/1157656/avocet44/1953/chevrolet/c10-pickup/photos/1.html

1953-chevrolet-c10-pickup-1996-explorer-green.jpg

1953-chevrolet-c10-pickup-explorer-interior.jpg

Will Do , It will be a slow build thats for sure , Doing One part at a time lol, but I do plan to make it a restomod , factory looking outside with minimal body changes minus shaving here and there and More than likely fuel injection and working AC lol , I drove my 53 for over 6 months @16 years old and it was a beast to drive with stock drums and no power steering/brakes lol , But It made me Respect older vehicles at a young age lol . Not a bad Chebby truck there lol .

I watched a classic truck crash in my rearview mirror about a year ago, traffic came to a halt, and if he had ABS brakes, I think it would have stopped in time. I drove a few cars without power systems and you're right, I do respect what they used back then, just glad technology has advanced.

I watched a classic truck crash in my rearview mirror about a year ago, traffic came to a halt, and if he had ABS brakes, I think it would have stopped in time. I drove a few cars without power systems and you're right, I do respect what they used back then, just glad technology has advanced now.

ouch ,, I am glad of the technology as well , but I would love an all original 53 F-100 with a flat head , man that would be sweet lol .

ouch ,, I am glad of the technology as well , but I would love an all original 53 F-100 with a flat head , man that would be sweet lol .

Yes, it sure would! Do what you can to make it happen! If you don't already have parts catalogs for it, check out midfifty.com and LMC Trucks for their catalogs and online orders. Midfifty has a huge selection and the best prices I've found.

Yes, it sure would! Do what you can to make it happen! If you don't already have parts catalogs for it, check out midfifty.com and LMC Trucks for their catalogs and online orders. Midfifty has a huge selection and the best prices I've found.

I have Dennis Carpenter and Midfifty's , this has been my dream truck since I was old enough to climb into the cab after my dad bought it when I was 4/5 Years old lol , I have always wanted to Repair it and improve it Since I was 12-13 , So it will happen , just not fully sure when without having a garage,shed,carport - anything to keep it out of the weather for tear down lol .

I have Dennis Carpenter and Midfifty's , this has been my dream truck since I was old enough to climb into the cab after my dad bought it when I was 4/5 Years old lol , I have always wanted to Repair it and improve it Since I was 12-13 , So it will happen , just not fully sure when without having a garage,shed,carport - anything to keep it out of the weather for tear down lol .

Oh wow! It's a keeper for sure then! I wish you the best and hope you enjoy it and pass it down to your children to enjoy/Improve it for future generations! Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

Oh wow! It's a keeper for sure then! I wish you the best and hope you enjoy it and pass it down to your children to enjoy/Improve it for future generations! Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

Thank you , I won't hijack your thread anymore , but will stand back with popcorn and be watching lol ! .

Way too cold to go out there for anything this week. Freezing rain, sleet, and other wintery weather. By Friday, the weather may reach 50 degrees. It may be the weekend before anything is done out there, sorry folks, park's closed. (National Lampoon's quote)

While I have a pile of receipts in front of me, I will tally costs so far and make adjustments as anything additional is purchased, remembered, or I find more receipts laying around in the shop etc.

Harbor Freight Items
1-ton shop crane was $99.99 (was a birthday gift - so, free to me :) )
Detail brushes $1.49
3 Multi-meters $Free w/coupon
Nutsetter bits $4.99
Nitrile gloves $5.99
11" Locking pliers $4.99
Spot weld cutter $4.79
6pc wirewheel brushes $3.99
V-shape hose hanger $1.99
3pc Step-down drill bits $7.99
2 Suction Cup glass/body pullers $4.00
Pulley puller $13.49
13pc drill bit set $5.00
Low-Profile Creeper $19.99
36" reach tool $2.00
Brass couplers $3.00
Pneumatic body saw $10.99
Small Saw Blades $7.99
Large Saw Blades $7.99

AutoZone Items
Haynes Manual $26.99
WD-40 $6.49
2 cans Degreaser $6.58
2 cans Black engine enamel $15.98
1 can Red engine enamel $7.99
Pan drain plug $3.99
Oil Pan Gasket $19.99
Oil Pump $28.99
Brake Cleaner $3.99
Kit Kat King Size $2.29 (Required)

Other Items
4 bolts/washers for engine stand $9.50
Engine stand rental $Free
Engine leveler rental $Free
Hired hands - $Free/hr. + beer and dinner.

I'm not going to complete the total quite yet, but I will do that in the future once it is all in place. After looking at the list, seems like I really haven't put much into the build, mainly in tools and other supplies. That means I still have these items for future builds and other projects.... makes me happy!

I got a couple of quotes today for media blasting. Just the cab was going to be $600-$800 ($100/hr for labor and material with 6-8hrs est.) Another place was $130/hr and travel an hour away from my house but may be able to do it in less time. I will have to do more research on this. I almost considered buying the equipment and attack it myself and OWN the equipment after I'm done with it for the same amount or less. Can't see why I can't do that... I will check back with you guys on this soon.

Harbor Freight has this 110lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster "ON SALE" for $134.99.

photos

I kept the coupon page that had the engine crane for only $99.99, on the same very page was THIS coupon for $89.99:

photos

Considering the tax savings there would be accompanying this coupon, this makes the actual price better by nearly $50!!!!! That savings can buy 50+ lbs of blasting media!

You don't even need the paper coupon, all they need is the code at the bottom. Check out some of the previous posts for coupons I've used as well.

photos

Just consider this for a moment with me. I have to borrow truck/trailer to haul the cab to a shop that is no less than 5 miles away, pay $500+ for blasting this one piece. Probably have more than $1000 total to complete all the panels.... if not more.

-OR-

Buy the blaster and we'll just say 200 lbs. of media. (not sure how much this may take to do the entire truck.) I already have a compressor, hose, etc. Total cost should not exceed $250..... and I don't have to move the cab more than 20 feet from where it's at to blast it. Then offer my services to others to recover the cost entirely. I have experience using a cabinet, not much with open-air blasting, but this option sounds better to me. (No offense to anyone who might do this for a living.)

Just realized the pics didn't load, will correct this tomorrow, sorry.

Harbor Freight has this 110lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster "ON SALE" for $134.99.

photos

I kept the coupon page that had the engine crane for only $99.99, on the same very page was THIS coupon:

photos

Considering the tax savings there would be accompanying this coupon, this makes the actual price better by nearly $50!!!!! That savings can buy 50+ lbs of blasting media!

You don't even need the paper coupon, all they need is the code at the bottom. Check out some of the previous posts for coupons I've used as well.

photos

Just consider this for a moment with me. I have to borrow truck/trailer to haul the cab to a shop that is no less than 5 miles away, pay $500+ for blasting this one piece. Probably have more than $1000 total to complete all the panels.... if not more.

-OR-

Buy the blaster and we'll just say 200 lbs. of media. (not sure how much this may take to do the entire truck.) I already have a compressor, hose, etc. Total cost should not exceed $250..... and I don't have to move the cab more than 20 feet from where it's at to blast it. Then offer my services to others to recover the cost entirely. I have experience using a cabinet, not much with open-air blasting, but this oprion sounds better to me. (No offense to anyone who might do this for a living.)

Sounds like money well spent , If I had the location for things of that nature I would do it ! .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you weren't so far away, I could help you out with your truck/trailer dilema. I actually have family in Arkansas, ironically enough, they are up here for the week for Thanksgiving.

Back