• Register Today It's free!

1984 Bronco II lacks power.

surferrick

Reaction score
City, State
laguna niguel, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1984 bronco 2
I have a 1984 Ford Bronco it sputters and chugs when going uphills, it gets terrible gas mileage, any ideas?:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

plugs,wires,cap,rotor,airfilter,fuelfilter after that i dont know

My wife brought my 89 home one day complaining of no pwr. I drove it and could tell something was bad wrong and suspected the catalyc converter. When I removed the muffler to get a better look the muffler was full of the ceramic blocks that are normally in CC. Its funny cause the CC is now nothing but a shell and i replaced the muffler. It now has more pwr than before.

I agree with bonham also.

And Exbronco2, I wish they'd come up with something other then Cats, but it's not the same world anymore. Just a reminder that legally were supposed to have them in working order.

Does she start, idle and rev up normally in no load situations? If so does she accelerate at partial and full pedal and run on level streches in a normal manner up to highway speed? Did you read the old plugs and if not do you still have them? Cat can certainly choke the engine, the fuel flow to the carb can starve the engine. If you can run a fuel pressure check that will eliminate the fuel pump as the culprit (although the pump is operating fuel flow may be below operating requirements) if fuel pressure to carb is sufficiant the carb could be at fault. Steep inclines can starve a carb, but I'm guessing your referring to small inclines. I had a B2 that would run fine and then cut out on hills and corners and that turned out to be a wiring harness grounding out on the firewall. Lots of other things possible, but if you start, idle and rev up under no load I would look at basics first...gotta breathe in and out, with ple.nty of fuel and properly timed spark. Got to rememer that camshaft valve train and timing chain are sometimes at fault. I wish I had a simple answer and it may be a simple problem, but diagnosis at a distance and sometimes on the spot, is really just a guess without doing the detective work.

The 2.8 in my 84 BII did the same things, at about the same situations. The trouble ended up being ( other than a worn smack out 2.8) the feedback carb was not functioning properly on the feedback circuit, so the carb would go lean and stay there. I ended up doing a D-spark swap, GM HEI module swap instead of the Ford "silver box" and using the carb from an 83 Cougar, with the jets swapped out for the ones from the old feedback 2.8 carb. No troubles until the engine finally said " Screw it, I QUIT." Power, reliability, AND economy all improved from the D-spark/carb swap, so you might want to check into that a little bit.

Back