1985 Ranger 2.8 liter V6 coolent issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1985 Ranger 2.8 liter V6 coolent issue.

pony4896

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer 4x4
I have a 1985 Ford Ranger 2.8 liter carbed V6 engine. 2 wheel drive. It has all stock parts on it. It has the Motorcraft 2brl E57EBA carb on it. I just got the truck two days ago so i dont know much about it. Today while at the store i noticed that i had a radiator leak. I looked under the hood and found that both the hoses going into the heatercore needed changed out. They were old and leaking. I went to the store and bought new hoses and the Prestone radiator flush kit were you hook up your home's outside water hose to the heater core hose and i did the flush after changing out the heater hoses.
I followed the correct procedure per Prestone's instructions, but after i refilled the radiator with antifreeze and ran the engine for the 10min i noticed that were i did have heat when i turned my heater on in the cab, my temp gauge was running hotter than normal. So i checked all my hoses and found that were my two heater core hoses were both hot to the touch and my upper radiator hose was hot, but my lower radiator hose is very cold. I drove around the block a few times to see if it would get hot but it simply will not get hot. All the other hoses are getting VERY hot to the touch, and like i said my heater inside blows nice and hot... Now, i happened to look down at the sticker on the grille support under my hood, the one that says WARNING SPECIAL VEHICLE MAINTENANCE IS REQUIRED FOR THE 2.8 V6 COOLING SYSTEM DRAINING AND REFILL PROCEDURE!! Acording to this sticker the correct procedure, which differs from the Prestone flush directions, is to remove the bottom radiator hose and the radiator drain plug to drain the old coolent from the radiator. Prestone on the other hand only told me to remove the drain plug from the radiator, then to put the yellow over flow attatchment into the radiator fill hole, hook up the water hose from the house into the heater core inlet hose per the attatched tee that i installed, turn water on and let it flush out through that yellow spout thing that i shoved into the radiator fill hole and turn on the engine and let idle for 10 minutes. According to the sticker on my truck, it says that after you have drained the radiator to go ahead and tighten the lower radiator hose back on, put the drain plug back into the radiator, then loosen the upper radiator hose, fill it with 2.6 liters of 50/50 antifreeze or untill it is full, then to reattatch the upper radiator hose to the radiator and fill up the radiator with the rest of the 7.8 liters of radiator fluid. Then after twisting the radiator cap back on to go ahead and twist it one half turn back off and start the engine and let the engine warm up until both the upper radiator hoses and the LOWER RADIATOR HOSE are the same temperture....Then im supposed to let the engine cool back down (per the sticker on truck) and open the radiator cap to see if it needs to be topped off.
Now the Prestone way just said to place the radiator plug back in the bottom of the radiator, leave the black cap off of the new tee joint area that i made on the inlet heater core hose and to fill the radiator with antifreeze untill from the tee joint area you stop seeing clear water running out and start seeing green antifreeze run out, then it said to run the engine for ten minutes (Prestone way), shut down engine and then check to see that the coolent level is correct and top off. Well i am guessing that i should have done the procedure (per my vehicle procedure warning) because that lower radiator hose is cold and all the other hoses are super hot.. Should i waist my money and re-due the entire process, or since the vehicle didnt overheat at all, should i just say oh well and keep driving it?
I guess, like everything else with this strange German Ford engine that Ford only used for the 84-85 year in the Ranger, things are just going to be difficult! Get this the distributor is in the rear of the engine like a Chevy! Sick huh!! Ive used the Prestone coolent flush before on several other Fords and never encountered this issue before. Could my thermostate have gone bad right when i did the flush? Wouldnt it be true that when they go out some times it would be stuck open and somtimes it will be stuck shut? Also just noticed that my oil pressure gauge is fluctuating wildly up and down now... Somtimes it will register very low oil pressure, then after a while it jumps up to very high oil pressure, above what it should be at....... wtf is going on? Maybe the oil sensor down under the engine were i was working to put on the lower heater core hose got bumped and now it has a short in it or something? idk. What a mess, oh boy...

there is a very good chance that you have a blockage... the prestone cooling kit has you "force" water in a direction and at a pressure that might unearth some nasty 25 year old goodies. I would definitely pull the thermostat and possibly the lower rad hose to see what's in there.

Also I wouldn't use tap water in the cooling system - use distilled water only, or preferably the premixed coolant.

there is a very good chance that you have a blockage... The prestone cooling kit has you "force" water in a direction and at a pressure that might unearth some nasty 25 year old goodies. I would definitely pull the thermostat and possibly the lower rad hose to see what's in there.

Also i wouldn't use tap water in the cooling system - use distilled water only, or preferably the premixed coolant.

x2

Back