1985 Ranger (2.8L) question.

pony4896

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer 4x4
Hey everyone.
Im usually in the explorer section. I have a 92 Explorer 4x4 fuel injected. But i had came across a good deal picking up this here 85 Ranger longbed pickup for just $500
Had new tires, new radiator. So i thought what the heck right "cheap transportation"
Well the guy that i purchased it from works very long hours and didnt get home untill after dark. Needless to say i couldnt see much in the engine bay at night. So the next day, at home, i take a better peak in the engine. Found out that it is a STRANGE LOOKING FORD ENGINE that i have never heard of or seen before. It's the 2.8L carbed V6. Has the distributor in the rear of the engine LIKE CHEVY!!!
OMG WHAT DID I GET MY SELF INTO!
Anyway's upon first glance i had thought that some dumbass had swapped in a Chevy motor at first till i did some research and found out otherwise.
Well whats up with this engine anyways? Why is it so different than all the other fords that i have seen?
To make matters worse, i found a few problems already.
It has a rough idle and a very rich smell of raw gas. Also it smokes a little upon start-up only. So I popped the hood to have a look.
First thing that i noticed was that the plastic (crank case ventilation device) that goes out from the drivers side valve cover was literaly half melted away. There was rubber hose running into the air breather... Then when i popped open the airbreather there was NO FILTER, and to me what looked like a small fire had happened in there! I also noticed that on the other side of the metal airbreather there is a sort of pad of fiberous material that is blocking and absorbing in comming air from the passenger side valve cover. This fiberous pad material IS SOAKED IN OIL! The entire bottom tray of the metal airbreather has about a quarter of an inch oil laying in it!!!
I can see that this is what had caused the small fire that had melted the plastic pieces in the area due to it clogging the various rubber hoses with oil i guess? But i havent the slightest clue as to what could have made all that oil end up inside that metal airbreather, and or why the wasnt a air filter put back into it??? Strong smell of fuel is comming off out of the carb which bt the way is a motocraft 2 barrel carb. The butterfly is open wide. Isnt it supposed to lay shut until i push the gas pedal? Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated as i dont want to deal with a nasty fire going down the road. Thanks

Found out that it was the pcv valve and the breather were both clogged. I guess they were stuck open and started sucking in oil were it pooled up in the tray of the air cleaner. Then the carb must have back fired at some point in time which must have ignighted the oil and melted the plastic breather on the valve cover and the hose.

Back