• Register Today It's free!

1985 Ranger

arcticguy57

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I've got a chance to buy an 85, 2wd Ranger. 5spd, 2.8 engine. I think I can get it for $500.00. The body is in fair shape as is the interior. Tomorrow I will drive it. My question for you guys is I have read info. about the 2.8 that says they are prone to overheating and head gasket issues. I've always been a Ford man and I like the truck. However, are these engines reliable? Anything special I should look for. Oh Yeah, the told me it has 125,000 on her. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know much about a 2.8 but I have a '86 with the 2.9 and mine's 4x4...very reliable little truck, never overheats, never had any issues with it and it has around 160k...Just my .02...good luck!

the heads are prone to crack when the get hot and they are very hard to find used, most of the time you are looking at 200 a pop for a used head if you can find one. if the head is cracked i would stay away for it. i still have a rebuilt 2.8 in the shed with about 8000 on it and i won't let it go. they are a great little motor. and you can do the dura-spark swap on them and get rid of the tfi ign. dist. and they are alot better and they make a 4 barrle intake for them have to look around evil bay, i have all kinds of parts for them

also, they are if i am correct a "solid lifter" motor. which means every once in while you will need to adjust the rockers on them. over time they will start to "clack" and you will loose a little power because if this. it will not damage the motor however.

They also run a timing gear set and not a chain. No worrys about a chain stretch, but I did blow out the gears in '79 Mustang one morning when starting it in -35 weather. Overall I liked the engine.

$500 sounds like a good deal! see if you can check for a cracked head, bubbles in the coolant, leaks around the head, heck if you have the time pull the plugs

When that 2.8L gives up the ghost you can put a 91-94 4.0L OHV in its place fairly easily if you really like that 85 Ranger

the 2.8L had some problems, it only lasted in the Ranger from 84 to 85 before they added EFI and called is a 2.9L,

the 2.8L comew from the Cologne family of engines, built by Merkur for cars, Ford used this engine in the Ranger to answer the cries for competition int he gas crunch market (Toyota and Nissan trucks come to America) the 2.6, 2.8L, 2.9L, 4.0L and 4.0L SOHC are all based on this 6 cylinder 60 degree block... each generation getting some strength and performance upgrades.

I am a big fan of the 4.0L OHV, I loved my 2.9L when I had it, but that engine is suited for a car not a 4000# SUV IMO... once I went 4.0L I never looked back......

Back