1986 Bronco II A4LD into 1992 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1986 Bronco II A4LD into 1992 Explorer?

Prototype

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Will a A4LD out of a '86 Bronco II fit into my '92 Explorer? The trans I got in the Explorer will not engage any forward gears. When I bought it about a week ago it was working but the shift points were way off, I had to back out of the throttle to force it to shift. drove it like that for a few days because it was my only transport, then yesterday morning I went to go to an appointment and it wouldn't engage a forward gear at all. Reverse still works though. So back to my original question, will the trans from the Bronco II work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

86 bronco II uses a floor shifter with a complicated messy linkage... the 92 explorer is cable shift
I believe the trans will work if you convert it to the cable shift using teh expo shifter lever

before you pull anything compare the sensors, make sure the wiring will match up

dont expect it to last long, believe it or not 92 A4LD is much stronger then 86

Yeah, I know it probably wont last long because the Bronco had a 2.9 in it. I just need it to go until I can get some cash together for a 6.9L Diesel for my '86 250.

Welcome to this forum! The 86 has only one solenoid compared to the 92 which has 2 solenoids. The valve body is different, so you will need a 2 solenoid valve body. You have to swap the bracket for the shift cable. The neutral safety switch might be different, but swappable. The 4.0L version in the 92 is more updated, and stronger as previously mentioned, so you are better off getting a newer one than an older one.

Better off getting a newer one, but not impossible to use the old one? I already have the one out of the Bronco.

Okay, I don't really need it to last long, either long enough to get an engine for my pick-up or to rebuild or get another 4.0 A4LD. And if the torque converter was bad, why would the reverse still work?

The torque converter retails a lot of old fluid with debris. It should not be reused since debris from the old transmission could get caught in the new transmission. The stall speed is different on both torque converters.

Oh, haha my bad. I thought you meant to get a new TC and flush the cooler and the old trans. I see now.

Back