1988 Aerostar. It starts when it's cold but hesitates when it's hot. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1988 Aerostar. It starts when it's cold but hesitates when it's hot.

Aeroguy88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1988 Aerostar cargo van
My 88 Aerostar Cargo Van starts great when it's cold but after driving & it heats up it will start to crank but then acts like the battery is going dead. I have to let it cool down for a few minutes. Sometimes it will start right away & sometimes it will crank slowly a couple of times & then suddenly start . Battery tests good, new solenoid and new starter. A friend told me he thinks it is vapor locked, whatever that means, but I am a novice & am totally stumped. Anyone have a clue what might be going on here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vapor lock is when the fuel is heated enough to go from liquid to vapor like when water boils. On efi cars the fuel system is under high pressure and the pump is in the tank away from the heat source helps prevent vapor lock so I doubt that is your problem. When it is hard starting is there a lot of current draw, do the lights go dim?

Welcome to this forum! My 1988 white Aerostar van was my first Aerostar. It's good to see others still running from that year. Clean the area where the ground wire is connected. A little bit of corrosion will have electrical resistance. Use anti oxidant gel.

Thanks for the input, guys. The lights dim ever so slighly when starting but it starts very strong when it's cold. if it was an elctrical problem due to corrosion wouldn't that affect it every time? The problem only happens after it has been driven for awhile and it is hot. if I let it sit for a few minutes to cool down it will start right away. I have even used a jump-box a couple of times & for some reason it started right away even though the battery has tested good.

Sounds like the battery cables to me. If they are corroded inside the sleeve, you wont be getting good power to the starter, and with a bad ground cable, you will have all kinds of abnormalities happen to the systems/lights. Pretty common issue.

Back