1988 ranger 5 speed. turn key and nothing. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1988 ranger 5 speed. turn key and nothing.

backroads

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 LTD 4.6
1988 ranger 2wd,5 speed.Just out of the blue, no lights, nothing on accessory, no crank,no radio etc. battery has 12.68 volts.
Ignition switch connector backed off? any ideas?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the fuses? IIRC there is a fusible link coming off the battery which may be blown. Or did you lose the ground cable from the battery? Just some things you might want to check.

First thing I would do is clean the battery terminals and then make sure the cables are tightened onto the terminals.
I just had this same scenario a couple weeks ago and it’s was my neg cable not tight enough.
Not saying that’s definitely your issue, but it’s an easy and free thing to do.

does the starter run if you jumper the fender mounted starter solenoid with a screwdriver?

Make sure its NOT in gear, try to jumper the solenoid
If it starter runs then you can rule out the starter and its battery wiring. Next would be to look at the signal wire from the ignition switch (red with light blue) and see if it gets 12V at the solenoid when you turn the key.

I think you still have about a half dozen fusible links on the battery side of the starter relay. They can get corroded or work their way loose such that no juice will pass(they are STACKED, so first one that loses contact means all that follow, more or less, do also).
Check also tightness of the terminals on the battery cables. Poor contact or a build-up of hidden corrosion can lead to intermittent conductivity. Grab the terminals by hand or with a pliers and see if they will twist. If they twist, they are too loose, and should be cleaned and tightened.
Newer models with the 'power distribution box' are subject to corrosion on the underside, or where the 'big fuse' is connected, just as cables and fusible link ring terminals are.
tom

Back