1989 XLT 4WD 5 SP "HAMMERING" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1989 XLT 4WD 5 SP "HAMMERING"

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

BUXTER

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SUMMERVILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 MERC MOUNTY 5.0 AWD
Just bougfht this last week - "Clanked" so badly I just had it towed straight to shop after 100 yard test drive - Mechanic says Pass Front Axle destroyed - Parts look readily available on Ebay & reasonably priced - Should I just replace both front Axles AND Front Drive Shaft ? - 95K miles but surely rolled over.

1989 XLT 4X4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Destroyed how and destroyed why? Did a U joint separate or did the axle shaft snap? Find out what specifically is wrong before you go throwing new parts at it.

Assuming you do have to replace significant portions, this is the perfect opportunity for a Dana 35 TTB swap.

ditch the dana 28 ttb and bolt in a dana 35!! If you do it right you can also find the outers from a 96-97 Ranger and have dual piston brake calipers :)

Service write kinda misspoke... Mechanic says the Front Diff is toast & a gear in there is whats hammering - As this truck is new to me I's like to see what it drives like so I'm having them delete the Front Drive Shaft & Axles until I get parts in hand for the upgrade - THANX~!

In 2wd, nothing in the front end should be turning. Not the axles, and not the driveshaft.
The tcase is disconnected at that end, the axles are disconnected from the wheels by the locking hubs, so everything in between just sits there waiting to be engaged.
If there is diff damage of some kind, it should not be evident when driving unless something is connecting it to moving parts. I would check the hubs, one or both may be bad and staying engaged.

So I have Locking Hubs ?

WRANGLERS.JPG

those are AUTO locking hubs and basically they belong in the trash
You could put them on Ebay, some purist who is restoring an old BII or Ranger MIGHT want them

seriously if you plan to keep this truck for any length of time get a dana 35 ttb from any 91-94 explorer or any v6 ranger from 92-97 and bolt it in. Make sure the gears match what you took out
the dana 28 that is in there now SUCKS
The dana 35 BOLTS DIRECTLY in

Will do - Now someone at some time was into the Rear Diff so the current plan is to sort any issues with Rear Diff out in 2WD mode >>> THEN upgrade Front Wheel Drive system properly - It is said to have new Clutch, new Brakes.

I had shop gut the Front Auto Locks for future upgrade & help diagnosing the Hammering - Its definitely Rear End SLAMMING so hard WE THOUGHT it was Front End as the whole Truck hammers - What is hot setup for 'new" Rear End ____? - Again someone has been in Rear End previous & obviously failed miserably - - I'll report on Diff Code fm Sticker.

Some awesome Info fm The Ranger Station:

Good page to Bookmark here: The Ranger Station Technical Library Index - Showing You The Way Since 1999!

In axle section are the codes, seen here: Ford 7.5 & 8.8 Inch Axle Tag & Door Codes

86 is a 7.5" OPEN, with 3.73 ratio

You have to match ratio to front axle, on 4x4s

7.5" and 8.8" Ranger axles are interchangeable so you can use either, same drive shaft flange

Also the frames and mounting are the same from 1983 to 2011, but...........

In 1993 and up Rangers were 2" wider, so axles were 2" wider, same frame and mounts just wider body
So on your 1989, a 1993 and up rear axle would have the rear tires 1" farther out on each side

A limited slip(L/S) rear axle would a nice upgrade, 3.73 ratio of course, and it was the most common ratio on Rangers
7.5" or 8.8" doesn't matter

Rangers came with either 9" rear brakes or 10" same hoses and connections, try to get "new" axle with drums included

2010/11 Ranger had rear disc brakes, and can be used but some extra work is required with E-brake and hoses

DOOR LABEL.jpg

Back