1990 2.9 to 1993 4.0

nooberiffic

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I have a 1990 5 speed supercab with a 2.9

I am swapping in a 93 4.0. I pulled an entire engine bay harness and computer out of a 93 explorer 5 speed and put it in my 90 ranger. Now I am having some problems getting the plugs in the drivers side obove the wheel well to match up with my '90 transmission harness and main harness (which I think runs to the fuel pump and rear lighting). Any one have any pics from how it looks in their engine bay? The wiring harness from the 2.9 is diff, as the wiring harness in my 93 ex auto.

They aren't going to be the same. You are going to have to get a wireing diagram for the Ranger and one that matches the donor vehicle and you are going to have to cut the plugs off and splice the two harnesses together.

Okay, two of the three sets plugged together and I spliced the third set (thinking, if I have to splice them anyway, whats the harm in trying). The engine turns, but doesnt seem to get spark. Also, when I turn the key on, the headlights come on and dont turn off.

Do any of those connectors (in the for-mentioned location) control the fuel or spark? Im guesses thats where my problem for the engine not starting lies...

Back