1990 bronco II 2wd trans problems | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1990 bronco II 2wd trans problems

mustang67

Reaction score
City, State
rock hill sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 bronco II,92 ranger
i have a 90 bronco ii 2wd with 5 speed mazda tranny the tranny went out and i got a 2.9 ranger tranny from junk yard , its in excellent shape but does not have the threaded hole in the tail shaft to bolt the bronco slip yoke flange to the tranny . Is there a way around this problem

<

Jack Flash

Reaction score
City, State
Ethel, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
(3) '88 BII's, '99 Ranger
I'm not current on these BII's...haven't had to work on the transmission in any of mine in a while. The 2WD BII had a dummy transfer case, but was a different tranny if I recall. The 2WD tranny would fit the 4WD BII, but not the other way around. (something about a top cover trans vs a bottom cover trans that identified them)
maybe someone with recent experience will post better info soon. :)

J...old & tired

<

mustang67

Reaction score
City, State
rock hill sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 bronco II,92 ranger
the 1990 bronco ii was the only year to use a true 2wd tranny , instead of the dummy transfer case set up. that is why im having so much trouble finding parts ,because it doest interchange with earlier models

<

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
Drill and tap the output shaft of the replacement trans... I know, easier said then done.

<