1991/1999 compatibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991/1999 compatibility

godspeed7170

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer
Hello,
Need a little help, have done a lot of reading and searching still a little confused.
Found a 91 sport 4x4 5spd 4.0, its rough, straight body seems like a good engine but runs rough, suspension seems solid with everything working, interior is all but gone, but is a good price.
Today found a 99 sport 4x4 5spd with a bad tranny but the rest is in good shape.
Was hoping to build the 91 with the 99 parts, but read that the floor pan is different?
will the carpet and interior swap over?
Know they had some changes to the engines but would the long block swap over, if I decide to change motors?
Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have two complete vehicles, most everything swaps right over, but the issue seems to be the firewall for the '99 would need to be removed and swapped into the '91 if you want to use the newer powertrain and interior.

If the '99 is in good shape other than the transmission, it'd be a whole lot less work and money to just have it rebuilt or buy another transmission, rather than adding 1000 times more work to the project by putting everything into an older model Explorer.

Anime thanks for the response!
Would be much easier but would really like the TTB of the 91, if the parts swap over then I can set it up the way I want

You can put the TTB into the newer Explorer, it'd probably be less work than taking both bodies completely apart to swap the firewall.

Here's an old/new Explorer body swapping thread to read through and see all the details about the body work involved in what you're thinking about:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146519

Thanks for your help again, went a completely different route, found a 93 that I will work just fine

Back