1991 4.0-Accessing EEC-IV Diagnostic Connector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 4.0-Accessing EEC-IV Diagnostic Connector

Foopherenz

Reaction score
City, State
Patchogue, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 2-Door
OK I'm being dumb. I'm normally pretty good with vehicles, but my brain isn't working.

I have a 91 Explorer with a 4.0 (recently purchased). My wife drove it today (Mistake). She said it stalled twice and the check engine light came on and went off several times.

I want to access the EEC-IV diagnostic connector to try an retrieve the codes, but I can't get the damn cover off. What am I screwing up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a little plastic tab that keeps the connector in the cover. It should "wiggle" out. If not help it by using a flat screwdriver to open up the tab.

Sometimes the cover doesn't come off easily. The cover on my comp. diagnostic never does.

I think if we had 2nd gens our diagnostic connector would be in the cab! So much nicer...

OK, I just brake the little plastic clip and yank the cover off. That worked well.

I pulled a code 66 (Mass Air Flow sensor circuit out0of-range). I cleared the code and will see if it comes back.

Thanks for the help.

Also, it could just be that the connector for the MAS just came loose... Much much cheaper if it's that

I have my old one if you need it, I'll let it go cheap since I have my Pro Flow meter in it's place.

$45???????

Back