• Register Today It's free!

1991 Aerostar. Fuel gauge issue.

moon lake rick

Reaction score
City, State
New Port Richey, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 & 93 aerostar
Hi to all. I haven't posted in a little while, but I do still have my Aerostar. It is running good.
My 91 Aerostar gas gauge reads full- empty- and anywhere in-between. It holds steady but about every time you turn on the key it might read something different. Doesn't move around while driving.
I did find a post on another forum about anti slosh module. It was 93 Aerostar.
Just wondering if anyone had experience with this system or some trouble shooting tips.
Maybe mine doesn't even have this type setup. Been awhile since I had the dash out and I wasn't looking for that.
I just carry a can of gas with me but it would be nice if gas gauge worked.

:usa: :usa: :usa: :aerostar: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick,

My '94 is exhibiting essentially the same symptoms - mine reads either zero or full when ign is on. It sometimes goes from one end of the scale to the other while driving, but it never stabilizes mid-scale even close to what is in the tank.

I'm pondering either to buy one of these: http://mpguino.wiseman.ee/eng or
convert to propane. I have the components, just trying to establish a resting place for a fuel tank that doesn't eat-up valuable interior space.

My '94 has VSS (vehicle speed sensor) which is electronic speedometer, not sure your '91 has it tho. You'll need it for the MPGuino if you want one. Thing is, the MPGuino costs about the same as a sending unit, but unlike your OEM setup, it reads MPG and remaining fuel on-board based on accurate fuel consumption.

gas gauge problem

:salute: thanks for reply..:usa: I figured that would be good place to start by dropping the tank.. Is there any way to check the sending unit without actually removing it from tank?..ohm meter something?

gas gauge problem

:thumbsup: Got it...Thanks for pointing that out..I understand..Maybe I could hook a jumper wire to it without removing tank and check resistance from time to time. I will get different readings at different gas levels in the tank if sending unit is working. I don't know if I will be able to access the wires at top of tank. If not I could splice in along the wire. Sounds like I don't really want to drop the tank and remove pump to check it. May not me too hard but my working space is not the best to do the tank drop job at this time..I have learned to carry a can of gas.

thanks for the info...:usa: :salute: :usa:

gas gauge problem

I have read that.. Seems like somewhat a decent idea. It would solve my work area problem. I probably be frowned upon for dropping the tank etc where I am living now..I will look underneath and try to determine where I should cut an access hole. Glad to hear it is under the seat and covering it with another piece of metal would be easy enough.

thanks for the input.

:aerostar: :usa: :salute: :usa:

Back