1991 Ex cranks but doesnt start...HELP 911 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Ex cranks but doesnt start...HELP 911

:popcorn:
Tired of :banghead:

Time to get :bdrunk:

enjoy the game :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Success!!!! Broken fusible link. There are 4 wires that come from my negative battery cable. 3 thin wires and one thick one. The thick one goes down to the area below the engine. A thin one is grounded on the right fender alongside the solenoid. Then a pair go into a fusible link? that go into a wire loom. I started moving wires around checking for the CEL to illuminate. When I moved the fusible link....Voila. I cut the link out and connected the wires directly to test. Fired right up. The question know is what gauge fuse do I use to link

There's standards for what gauge wire it is. Google should tell you, I'd prob add 5~10 amps to what google says

And congrats!!

Fusible links are often color coded to indicate amperage

Is it a fusible link?

Thanks to everyone that helped out. I really appreciate it.

That's what we are all here for. Glad you got it sorted out. :)

Now I just need to know if the negative battery cable connection has a fuse

03318.oap

Turdle, do you know what the connection on the negative cable is for. Do I need a fuse

Turdle, do you know what the connection on the negative cable is for. Do I need a fuse

You shouldn't need a fuse on a ground wire. But it doesn't hurt to put one on if it helps ya sleep at night

The fusible links are available at the Auto Parts store. ;)

Well, at least nobody got paid!

FUSIBLE LINK! HMMMmmm No power, HMMMMmmmm I ain't NEVER!! !! ! :mad:

You MUST have it. :salute:

IF you have a major short it will burst into flames! :fire: Starter motors like to go short!

Computer's been off for a few days, so I didn't see the last messages. The ground (negative) wire also carries starter current in almost every automotive application so unless you want to purchase and install a 600+ amp fuse you probably don't want to fuse the negative side. Some boats do have separate (isolated) starter wiring, generally using 3/0 or 4/0 cables, but I've never seen it elsewhere. If someone has seen a fuse in the negative battery cable, please let me know - I'd be very interested in where it was done.

Computer's been off for a few days, so I didn't see the last messages. The ground (negative) wire also carries starter current in almost every automotive application so unless you want to purchase and install a 600+ amp fuse you probably don't want to fuse the negative side. Some boats do have separate (isolated) starter wiring, generally using 3/0 or 4/0 cables, but I've never seen it elsewhere. If someone has seen a fuse in the negative battery cable, please let me know - I'd be very interested in where it was done.
The reason I ask is because the connector from the pcm ground to the negative battery cable is bad. Wanted to know if it was safe to cut the connector out and just splice the wires together.

L.A.X. How do you mean 'bad'? Is it corroded, insulation falling off (such as being hot) by the connector, or ? Did you mean 'connection between the pcm ground to the negative battery cable' ? I'm not trying to be difficult, but the answer could be different depending on how and why the ground connection is bad.
If you just have a bad (broken, etc.) connector, there should be no problem in cutting the connector out and splicing the wires. All you would be doing is bypassing it. You could also install a spade or bullet type connector if you think you would ever need to disconnect that wire. That's what I intend to do when I get time to repair the 4X4 shift motor on my wife's '92 XLT.

L.A.X. How do you mean 'bad'? Is it corroded, insulation falling off (such as being hot) by the connector, or ? Did you mean 'connection between the pcm ground to the negative battery cable' ? I'm not trying to be difficult, but the answer could be different depending on how and why the ground connection is bad.
If you just have a bad (broken, etc.) connector, there should be no problem in cutting the connector out and splicing the wires. All you would be doing is bypassing it. You could also install a spade or bullet type connector if you think you would ever need to disconnect that wire. That's what I intend to do when I get time to repair the 4X4 shift motor on my wife's '92 XLT.
I cut and spliced the wires. All is good

Back