1991 explorer 4.3 6cyl possible computer prob. Need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 explorer 4.3 6cyl possible computer prob. Need help.

Ixxy

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer 4.3
I have a 1991 Ford Explorer 6cyl 4.3. It started running rough and idling funny, then eventually it wouldnt start at all. I have to squirt a little starter fluid into the injector to get it to fire. It will then run rough and eventually it will make a weird jerk and then idle normal and the engine light shuts off. But the next day its a rinse and repeat deal. I have replaced the fuel pump, filter and the fuel regulator and its still the same deal. I can unplug the mass flow sensor and the truck continues to run. I was going to go buy a code sensor and see what it said but my brother thinks it could be a bad computer, he said if the computer is bad it may tell me false info. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Also I have put in a new water pump, power steering pump, plugs and wires and air filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MAF sensor. Just went through the same thing.

I put on another maf sensor and it did not fix the problem. Possible computer prob?

Pull the codes off and see what it says. If its very strange then the computer may be bad. However this needs to be your first step.

Also its a 4.0 6cyl

You need to do the proper testing first. get a code scanner (or barrow one) and check the code. see what it says, yes, it may be bogus if the computer is bad, but it also very likely may point you towards the problem. you've already started blindly replacing parts, might as well do some educated guessing now.

also with the fuel system, it could be a bad fuel pump relay. have you tested fuel pressure? i had fuel pressure issues, replaced the filter, pump, pressure regulater, then replaced the pump again.. still didn't fix it, turned out to be the relay.

and yes its a 4.0

4.3:scratch:maybe he has the stroker kit:dunno:

Back