1991 explorer air conditioner question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 explorer air conditioner question

paddd

Reaction score
City, State
Edgeley Saskatchewan Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
I have a problem with my ac in my explorer, one time it works excellent the next time not at all, it is fully charged, has a new switch on the heater control panel in the cab, and a new pressure switch on the accumulator the compressor is working fine, when I have no ac the clutch seems to have no power to it, if I use a jumper wire straight to the compressor from the battery all works fine. anyone know where I can download a wiring diaram? is there a module under the dash that could be faulty?
thanks for the help

I'd start by seeing if you have 12V coming from your low pressure cutout on the accumulator when it is not working. If not (likely)check the supply side of thwe switch for 12V... if not present then we have an issue with the main controls in the cabin methinks.

I have a similar symptom on our '92. Sometimes the compressor clutch won't energize.

I have tracked it down to a bad wire (I think it might be ground)..

There is a relay on the blower motor housing I just wiggle it and the wires going to it and then my a/c works. It only has the issue once in a while.

Last time I didn't touch the relay, instead I just wiggled the wires. and it "looks like" there is a ground wire going to the fender that is loose that is causing my issue.

~Mark

Back