1991 Explorer boils over after you shut it off -- FIXED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

1991 Explorer boils over after you shut it off -- FIXED

derrickman

Reaction score
City, State
Norman,OK.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer 4x4
over heating

hey guys got a 92 explorer last week... it over heats all the time with t-stat or not took t-stat out and stays at a little up half ways on temp... any suggestions.....

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Its pronounced (Priz-biz)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Thermostat? That was the main problem in my 94 explorer and it has a cracked headgasket. The headgasket problem makes it chug but it doesnt overheat now when I flushed the radiator and everything

<

derrickman

Reaction score
City, State
Norman,OK.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer 4x4
No oil in coolant no coolant in oil

<

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
That doesnt mean your thermostat isnt busted. Try getting a new thermostat. It is only a few bucks, and if it works hey you saved yourself money and well... not quite time. but money at least!

<

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Also, My dad and I just flushed the radiator the other day and now it runs fine. So that might be the problem too

<

97 EB Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
hey guys got a 92 explorer last week... it over heats all the time with t-stat or not took t-stat out and stays at a little up half ways on temp... any suggestions.....

Yeah, read the first page of this thread ;)

Seriously:
Radiator cap good?
Anything blocking your radiator (i.e. dirt, debris, dead chickens?)
I don't think anyone has mentioned checking hoses in this thread yet. If, by some rare chance, they are the factory hoses, you are LONG overdue for a replacement.
Clutch fan working properly?

Just a few places to start looking...good luck!

<

92ebxplorer

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
92' eddie bauer
I got a new clutch mine wasnt engaging at all would just free spin i could stop it at idle with my hand! lmao what knowledge is! priceless

I also picked up a 4.6 maf i just installed it right now at work so havent gotten to test it!

<

Malchi

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 X 4x4
Ok, just wanted to report back. I did replace the rad cap, and the three freeze plugs. Now, no more boiling over problem. Even with straight water in the system it does just fine.

I do intend to drain and refill with antifreeze. But, I have another freeze plug that is just starting to seep a little. It's the one on the pass side, rear most plug, just behind the exhaust pipe to manifold flange. I'm hesitating tackling it, but figure I need to do so before I put antifreeze in it.

Anyways, the rad cap did fix my original complaint. So, a big huge thanks to all for the help y'all gave. Never would've figured this out without my friends online.

<