• Register Today It's free!

1991 explorer build questions

Bobo804

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
I am new to the explorer builds and just got my hands on a 91 explorer eddie bauer edition and want to build it. I am debating on doing a axle swap in the front any suggestions? also any other things yall would suggest with that would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Solid axle swap or just switching to a different ttb set up? and roll overs in the explorers are very high so if you want a lift i would suggest looking into good suspension parts.

Unless you're looking to run really big tires (37s or bigger) or want a wider track width, I don't see much need to mess around with swapping axles, the stock stuff is generally fine to 35" tires with a few small mods such as swapping to the Warn Jeep hubs and a set of Spicer 5-760X u-joints.

Skyjacker has some nice suspension kits, but you have to look for them under Rangers for your year (4" & 6" kits). You'll need to get a kit either with rear springs and then add a set of extended shackles to get the full rear lift (ranger springs are ~2" less lift), or if you get the 6" lift, you can do a SOA conversion (spring-over-axle) using your stock springs (also gives about 6").

James Duff has some nice suspension kits as well, however I'm not real big on their rod-end radius arms (I prefer bushings). This is mostly a personal preference though (both have their advantages & disadvantages).

Welcome to the forum. :chug:

i appreciate the help guys and thanks for all the info!!

The other question is whether or not your rig will be off the road much...if it's a build just for show, there are ways you can do that just to reach that point, but if it's a build purpose-built for wheeling, there are some other ways you could go about the process. It also depends on the off-road purpose of the truck..."rock crawling" or pre-running. if it's a trail rig you want, and you're looking towards some more hard-core stuff, solid is your best bet (although there are some good links on here on how to get a TTB set up very well for trail) and the TTB is good for desert. Cut & turned TTB's and lift coils are a good option in that aspect.

Seeing as you're a VA man, I'm gonna guess pre-running isn't really what you have in mind for your EB....the next questions then become; what's the level of wheeling your looking to do? Is there a specific tire size you're wanting to run? Is this on a tight budget or do you not have a limit on your bank account? There are plenty of builds on here for those with big accounts and builds done on the cheap....personally, mine is gonna be on the cheap (including re-gearing and costing less than $500 before tires) but from research on this site, should be a recipe for a good trail rig (just waiting for a bit of cash flow to start.)

Forget I said all that....just saw your build thread lol! :D

Bobo804, I'm just down the road in Glen Allen. Shoot me an email and we can link up to go over some options that could work for both of us. I'm looking for another project for mine. mashcraft1969@gmail.com

Back